Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Default The Call Down Series of Poker

This seems typical enough. I have an overpair on the flop vs a villain who is loose passive. Leading out on the flop and the turn seems obvious.
And I feel there's a good chance I'm still best when I bet out on the river. But who folds to his reraise? The pot is large, and I would appreciate advice about where to draw the line on call downs.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
Old 03-04-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: The Call Down Series of Poker

I check this river. The flush came, an overcard came, and your opponent is still here. What hands will he just call with that you beat?

Someone feel free to bitch slap me if this is too passive [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2005, 01:21 PM

Consider yourself bitch slapped.

Whether to call the river raise or not really depends on how passive. Even passive opponents will sometimes bluff at pots. But I can't really say whether you'll with this more or less than 10% of the time when you call. When I'm not sure I call.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:25 PM

Milky, look up the definition of value betting and you will see that its betting a marginal holding on the river against someone you feel will call with a worse hand. This is a perfect time to value bet. I'm calling the raise because I think I'm good one in ten here, but I'm guessing you lost because you are posting this.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the verbal beating all. Consider me slapped.

Good thing I posted that though, as I think I've been missing out on some value bets.