Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 09:36 AM

Default $5 - short stack with 55.

OK, I'd just begun to open up and blind steal a little bit to keep my head just above water, so was being a little LAGGY. Now what do I do here... let it go and hope to pick up another hand or push it in and hope for a double up or at least to take the pot, which would double my stack as it is. Help needed! (blinds were just about to go up within 1 minute)

POKERSTARS GAME #3020831962: TOURNAMENT #14921436, HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL VI (100/200) - 2005/11/10 - 07:59:43 (ET)
Table '14921436 1' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Dslopes (4852 in chips)
Seat 3: kinghighaz (2480 in chips)
Seat 4: Sheepface (2885 in chips)
Seat 5: DaN_AK_ (1555 in chips)
Seat 7: MOODY19 (908 in chips)
Seat 9: Elmo1978 (820 in chips)
MOODY19: posts small blind 100
Elmo1978: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DaN_AK_ [5s 5c]
Dslopes: raises 200 to 400
kinghighaz: folds
Sheepface: calls 400
DaN_AK: .....
Old 11-10-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Re: $5 - short stack with 55.

dude, the BIG stack raises UTG, and then the SECOND BIGGEST STACK flat calls. the guy that flat called likely has something. fold these piece of crap 5's as fast as you can. and keep reading these boards.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, the BIG stack raises UTG, and then the SECOND BIGGEST STACK flat calls. the guy that flat called likely has something. fold these piece of crap 5's as fast as you can. and keep reading these boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flat-caller had been flat-calling all day long, my thoughts at the time were that I could get the UTG raiser to fold if he didn't have anything substantial due to the other big stack still waiting to act behind him... I'm not sure. But my M was only down to 5, so I was happy to take a coinflip situation against two high cards here.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:43 AM

I would let it go. Shorty in the Big Blind probably comes along for the ride and I don't see the Big Stack folding, so you're at least in a three-way pot.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The flat-caller had been flat-calling all day long, my thoughts at the time were that I could get the UTG raiser to fold if he didn't have anything substantial due to the other big stack still waiting to act behind him... I'm not sure. But my M was only down to 5, so I was happy to take a coinflip situation against two high cards here.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds to me like you're thinking of running a squeeze play. if you really think you've got fold equity against them go ahead and try it. but 5's players like action.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:47 AM

Short stacked. With 1555 chips. At 100/200. Oh, dear.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But my M was only down to 5, so I was happy to take a coinflip situation against two high cards here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a lot to learn.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But my M was only down to 5, so I was happy to take a coinflip situation against two high cards here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a lot to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's why I'm here. Hit me with it!
Old 11-10-2005, 09:56 AM

M is not applicable to most situations in an SNG. You should be thinking of your equity. Here it is pretty good still, certainly bigger than pushing over the top of two stacks that have you covered, with virtually no FE, with a crap pair of 5's. This is the type of moves I see donks make all the time, and they usually lose. Don't be one of those donks.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
M is not applicable to most situations in an SNG. You should be thinking of your equity. Here it is pretty good still, certainly bigger than pushing over the top of two stacks that have you covered, with virtually no FE, with a crap pair of 5's. This is the type of moves I see donks make all the time, and they usually lose. Don't be one of those donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I blame Harrington, he's got his "M" theory drilled into my head. How can I establish how good my equity is here then? I'm certainly NOT a donk, but I AM trying to learn, we all have to start somewhere so any advice is appreciated.