Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 01:10 PM

Default AQo hand - turn decision (playalong)

I'm posting this hand primarily as a learning tool for the inexperienced players on the boards. Please grunch on your first post, then see what other people say.

This is the first orbit at the table for you, and the first time you've seen the villian in a hand.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>

What is your action for the rest of the hand, and why?
What range of hands do you think villian has, and why?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: AQo hand - turn decision (playalong)

In white:

<font color="white">Call down, but the situation looks grim. If this is his first hand, PP's and s00ted broadways make likely cold calling hands for fairly tight players. However, this is far from conclusive after so few hands. Sets and frushes are definite possibilities, but so are weaker aces, especially AX[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. </font>
Old 07-08-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="white">especially AX[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white">A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is on the board.</font>
Old 07-08-2005, 01:37 PM

I think he means a non-spade ace with a side-card spade, like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Absent any other reads, I think A/3 is his likeliest holding, with a pair-and-a-flush draw also possible.

I'd call here. If the river's a spade, I check and think about it if he bets. If it's not I'd check and call.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:37 PM

I agree with the grim outlook. Against some players I would 3-bet here, but a typical .5/1 Party player probably ain't popping this turn with anything less than 2-pair. If he was on a draw he would've raised the flop. This is either a made flush, 2-pair, or just somebody who likes to donk. Call down.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he means a non-spade ace with a side-card spade, like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Sorry that wasn't clear.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:42 PM

answer in white
<font color="white"> This could easily be a slowplayed flopped flush draw and this is a common move fish make when they flop a monster. In fact in this small pot I'd probably just fold since villian could have the flush, could have maybe hit two pair, had a set on the flop or turn, could be drawing to the flush or have an ace that you outkick. The last being the least likely.

I'm guessing the answer that most will say is call down for a cheap showdown since you have zero reads on the guy you don't know if he is capable of bluffing in this spot, or slowplaying and maybe its best to just call down to see what he has. But again to me, in this small of a pot and this move being playing by an unknown I'd just fold.

Since he is unknown its very tough to say his range of hands. He could be a rock slowplaying AA for all we know. But for the standard low limit player I'd say his range of hands could be any two spades, any pocket pair, a9, a3 </font>
Old 07-08-2005, 01:44 PM

I find it particularly hard to put an unknown coldcaller on a range as some people will call a raise with any hand they would limp with, some call a raise with any hand they would raise with, and some call a raise with any hand. I hardly ever coldcall.
I think a reasonable guess might be something like a mid-to-low pocket pair (9's or less?), two broadway cards, perhaps suited. KJ or worse for the broadways. I don't think he's got an ace.
The turn raise seems to mean "I slowplayed my flush" but it could mean the same thing for a set, flopped and slowplayed or turned. He could have ATo and be overplaying, I guess.
Without a read my plan is to call this down, pretty much no matter what card falls on the river. Just as much for information on my opponent that I can use in the future as anything else.
Maybe I've been seeing too much bluff-raising lately. But that's what I would do. I also want to know, will he slowplay the flop or not?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:54 PM

Ok, so everyone is saying to call it down. Fair enough, but given that each of you has come to the conclusion that we are behind at this point, with little or no chance of improving, how profitable is it in the long run to call down in this situation? How often to we get shown a hand that we actually beat? You say to call down, but you don't really explain why.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so everyone is saying to call it down. Fair enough, but given that each of you has come to the conclusion that we are behind at this point, with little or no chance of improving, how profitable is it in the long run to call down in this situation? How often to we get shown a hand that we actually beat? You say to call down, but you don't really explain why.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have outs against 2-pair depending on which 2-pair he has, and I think 2-pair is more likely than a flush. Throw in the small chance that he's bluffing and the information we get from villian and I think it's a call.