Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Sports Betting Stories

Here's one that just happened 30 seconds ago.

I have TB and the Over 9.

The score is currently 7-5 KC. The game gets called in the 7th do to rain. The total wager I have which already won gets cancelled because the game didn't go 9 innings, the side wager (which I still had a small chance to win) loses as well but doesn't get cancelled because it went 5 innings.

Seems to be par for the course this week.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:20 PM

About 5 years ago, I had been reading the SCORE newsletter for football for years, finally had some $$, and decided to pay the $500 fee and just play their picks straight up. (I had gone bust a few times in the past using my own handicrapping skills).

Find a bookie (the kid in the mailroom was "connected"). Have a few good weeks, $150 a game, they go like 15-7. Get paid. Decide to up my unit to $300, and the next weekend they go 5-4. OK.

Next week decide to up the unit to $500, and they go on a tear like 9-1, and I hit a coupla other games and a few parlays and teasers and win like $7,500.

Kid reports back that network of bookies got busted that week, and no payouts.

He finds me "another" bookie, and I "win" about $5k the next week. A few weeks go by with no payment, and I have the choice of busting him up, or chalking it up to "fool me twice, shame on me".

I opt for the latter, discover Internet betting, but dont really have the bankroll to make $500 units on several games at once, so go down to $200, and do OK for a few weeks.

Find another bookie, go back up to $500 units, but now SCORE's handicapping machine starts to leak oil and its break even for a while, and then they go on a bad streak, I add my own losers, and I lose thousands.

All in all, I made every mistake in the book, bankroll mismanagement, trusting idiots, being an idiot, etc. etc.

If I had stayed with my original plan, bet flat units stayed with the handicapper's picks straight up, just bet on the Internet, I would have made a few grand on the season.

Then basketball season came, and I think it is better to wager on professional wrestling.

Haven't bet on sports since.

Good luck to all! Bankroll, bankroll, bankroll.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:23 PM

Went 12-0 in my first 12 bets during the bowl season. Lost the last 13, including two teasers which both came down to Oklahoma (my team) plus 7. Barforama.

I also had $$ on a college basketball game laying 6. The game goes to OT, my team goes up 8, misses a layup with 6 seconds left, and the other team hits a 45 foot bank 3 at the buzzer to lose by 5. I also had the under in the Ravens/Giants SB and was looking great at 3-0 in the third when 3 TDs happen in 45 seconds, ha.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:17 AM

That rule really outta be changed about totals simply ridiculous when you think about it. Oh well, I guess it's not gonna change but that really is too bad.

Thanks for all the replies guys good to hear about the fortunate breaks and bad beats.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:49 AM

This has to be one of the worse nfl football stories...

I took the J-E-T-S the first year bill parcels was coaching. the Line was 4 1/2 they were up 16 - 10 with less than 1 min to go. It was 4th and long deep in their end zone. Neil o donald scrables...scrambles...turns around...and throws the ball in the endzone...2 point safety! Talk about bad beats!
Old 05-16-2005, 03:35 PM

Oddest Cover - I had a big bet down on Big Al's Dallas-Chicago pick last year (think this was the game) when they covered on a safety.

Worst loss - *&^&$ Duhon's three-pointer. I will never forget that. Meaningless.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:10 PM

I was on UCONN as well for that Duhon 3. Made me ill.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:30 PM

I also had Uconn but the worst part is I parlayed it with Georgia Tech, so I wasted a great pick and got screwed at the same time.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:31 PM

And Heinz, Pittsburgh rules (whether you are from there or not, I am!) Go Bucs!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:03 AM

I had $100 up on a 5-way MLB winline parlay (underrolled, idiotic, you name it)

The last game that had to win was a game between Minnesota and Oakland that Oakland had tied in the 8th inning or so (i picked oakland)

I was at work (restaurant) all day and could only get updates on my cellphone. So i'm frantically hitting the "refresh" button and it seems Oakland can't stay at bat long enough to get anything going and Minnesota kept getting runners on. I see they make a pitching change and put Joe Roa in and i celebrate my win prematurely, thinking he'll give up a chump performance...He ends up going like 3 2/3 with 1 hit allowed. In the TOP OF THE 18TH Oakland finally scores 3 runs to make it 5-2 and as i hit refresh to see how the bottom of the inning is going i see that the first batter reaches and Justin Morneau immediately belts a two run homer but Dotel finishes off the last 3 outs uneventfully...Imagine, being breathless for a full 9 extra innings and seeing your team go up by a (after waiting 2+ hours with nothing) HUGE 3 runs and then the other team immediately starts the inning with a 2-run homer....The most up-and-down 2 hours i'll probably ever spend sportsbetting (now that i've learned better)

Was trying to remember details and just found the recap:

4 hours, 57 minutes total
"At one point Minnesota relievers retired 20 of 21 batters
Mark Kotsay was 2 for 8
Oops, i was wrong little-known Joe Roa pitched 5 innings of 1-hit ball

Box Score/Recap