Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 12:30 PM

Default European Poker Tour - Monaco - First major event....

Hi all,

I've won an entry into the European Poker Tour Grand Final in Monaco. 90% of the poker I play is online, and I have 13 weeks to prepare to give this my best shot.

I plan to play live no limit tournaments and to research the players that will be there. I also want to discover if I have tells, and how to defeat my tells.

In addition to those items, what are some other steps I can take to ensure I can give it the best shot and maximize this opportunity?

Thanks for any feedback!

Cordially,
Pokernewbie
Old 11-28-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: European Poker Tour - Monaco - First major event....

Congrats on ur seat.

First off, if 90% of the poker you play is online, then indeed you must frequent the B&M rooms often in the upcoming weeks. Read ing books related to tournaments and strategy. As for tells, I think you have to go with Cairo's book of tells. While reading it, you will probably notice what you yourself has been "telling" and how to stop it.

While researching the players is a good idea, IDK how you will be able to do it all before the tournament starts since you wont know who will be in it until before the tounrament starts.

Good Luck
Old 11-28-2005, 12:44 PM

Thanks, I was thinking that Caro's book of tells would be very good. I have Harrington's books on tourneys and Sklanksy's.

What other resources do you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2005, 12:47 PM

Supersystem may also help. While this book is mainly for cash games, the agression it talks about works well in tournaments.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:00 PM

Supersystem 1 or 2? Or both? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks a lot for the post. I feel like the nuts and bolts of my game are good. I just know that the pros have an obvious edge, which I want to reduce. I think to get ITM may be too high an expectation, however, it is my goal.

Thanks again for your comments/suggestions!
Old 11-28-2005, 01:02 PM

Both would work
Old 11-28-2005, 04:45 PM

Remember that your chip count isn't clearly printed on the screen anymore.

Yea, I know...common sense, but something that can easily slip your mind.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember that your chip count isn't clearly printed on the screen anymore.

Yea, I know...common sense, but something that can easily slip your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

nor is the size of the pot.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both would work

[/ QUOTE ]

No, do NOT get both Super System 1 and 2 - at least, not for the purposes of studying for this tourney. The no-limit hold'em chapter is the same in both.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:59 PM

Do you play home games or have friends that play poker? If so, play with them either in home games or at a B&M and ask them to focus on your possible tells. When reading Caro, be sure to think about these things, not only in terms of the other players, but whether or not you might be doing those things. When you're up against other players, if you believe the player to be good and observant, give off false tells if you think he believes you to be a weak player.
As far as tournament strategy goes, Harrington and Super System (NL sections are the same in 1 and 2). I would also suggest "The Psychology of Poker" if you have a chance. It's always best to play the player. What does he think of you? If you believe you're hand is far superior, but he thinks you're weak and will try to run you over, let him try. He thinks your hand is strong, take advantage of it.
In the beginning, it's a game of trapping. Later, as blinds increase, you may have to be a bit more daring. GL, if one piece of my advice helps, I'll accept a small present as a token of appreciation. Also, check with others who have more experience playing European players. I hear they can be difficult to bluff. Don't be a donkey.
How did you win this?