Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 08:55 AM

Default standard or weak tight?

no stats on hijack+1, button is 25/15/2
I raise in hijack+1 with Ac8c, hijack+1 3 bets, button cold calls. 3 to the flop. flop comes down As Jd 6c.
I check, hijack+1 bets, button raises I fold.

standard or weak tight? if i should call or reraise, why?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: standard or weak tight?

Interesting. You think button has JJ? Would he 3-bet the flop here if he did? If button were a good player and hijack were a LAG I'd probably put button on KK, QQ, or TT, hoping his 3-bet folds out your Ax. Of course, button could well have AK or AQ as well. I'd be really tempted to call this down, or at least peel the flop (especially with the backdoor nut flush draw).
Old 09-30-2005, 09:46 AM

I like it
Old 09-30-2005, 10:00 AM

button is solid and called three cold. weird. I can't think of a hand I would do that with in that situation. You have to fold here and I think the biggest reason is that the action is not closed and you can get caught on any street for multiple bets. I think AT even here is a fold.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:06 AM

What about leading the flop and folding if it comes 2 back to you? I'm also a little confused about the action. You open-raised in the HJ and the CO 3-bet it? I've never seen someone call it the HJ+1.

When you open-raised in the HJ, and the CO 3-bets it, his range is really large, because yours is large as well. When you check, it's an auto-bet for the CO and for many players, it's an auto-raise for the button if he has a pair of jacks or better. Now you're in a situation where you have to risk either folding the best hand, or calling down a lot of action with a possibly dominated hand.

The merits to leading are (this is just IMO):
1) Hopefully the CO will auto-raise and push the button out, so you can see showdown cheap (as in not 3 bets every street). Though, considering the button called 3 cold preflop, it's not likely that facing 2 cold will push him off any draw.
2) If it's bet and raised before him, the button will be less likely to be raising a weak hand or making a play. Therefore, you can feel better about a fold. Not leading puts you in the situation where you've gained no information about the CO's hand, and basically the button has let you know that he has some pair or better.

Does anyone like leading, or am I just crazy? I'm curious to see the lines that others would take.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about leading the flop and folding if it comes 2 back to you? I'm also a little confused about the action. You open-raised in the HJ and the CO 3-bet it? I've never seen someone call it the HJ+1.

When you open-raised in the HJ, and the CO 3-bets it, his range is really large, because yours is large as well. When you check, it's an auto-bet for the CO and for many players, it's an auto-raise for the button if he has a pair of jacks or better. Now you're in a situation where you have to risk either folding the best hand, or calling down a lot of action with a possibly dominated hand.

The merits to leading are (this is just IMO):
1) Hopefully the CO will auto-raise and push the button out, so you can see showdown cheap (as in not 3 bets every street). Though, considering the button called 3 cold preflop, it's not likely that facing 2 cold will push him off any draw.
2) If it's bet and raised before him, the button will be less likely to be raising a weak hand or making a play. Therefore, you can feel better about a fold. Not leading puts you in the situation where you've gained no information about the CO's hand, and basically the button has let you know that he has some pair or better.

Does anyone like leading, or am I just crazy? I'm curious to see the lines that others would take.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are not crazy, when theres a decent chance that you may have the best hand and your in a short handed raised pot it is best to be the aggressor. The hero shouldve bet the flop in my opinion. I realize that the hero's strategy actually saved him money since he got to make an easy fold, but thats not the point. In the long run I think the hero is better off being the aggressor on the flop and betting into the prf raiser.