Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Some hands from today - Hand 1, respecting the loose man\'s call

I'm up agaisnt a 60/10, 1.0(0.8/1/2).
He folds 27% of his hands on the flop.
Am I giving his call to much credit, or just the right amount?

Party Poker 10.00/20.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.75 BB.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Some hands from today - Hand 1, respecting the loose man\'s call

It's difficult to judge an opponent's river aggression based on stats alone, but this river fold seems weak. it seems you're surrendering the hand on the flop. your hand is still vulnerable on the turn, and needs to be bet for protection/value -- unless you have insight that your opponent will bet any river if shown weakness to. i'm still curious to see what others have to say.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:57 PM

I tend to bet turn and check-behind the river (folding to turn C/R) when I have a hand with few (maybe only one) outs; typically your turn check means you intend to show down cheaply or you're giving up -- did you give up on the turn or did the specific river card change your approach?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you give up on the turn or did the specific river card change your approach?

[/ QUOTE ]

The river card didn't affect my decition. I think it was a good river card for me. But I had decided to fold before it came.

I gave up when I saw the turn card. Any draw he could have had on the flop ( [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], AT, KT, K9, T9, T8, 98) got hit on the turn.

I only beat Ax and air.

Some hands I beat won't bet the river and I'll win some of those pots anyway.

A player of his caliber will have Ax and air sometimes/often(?) though. So I'm thinking maybe I should have bet the turn. I still think I made the right play by checking. The board has hit so many plausible hands. But I'm not sure at all.

I appreciate your comments. They have made me to svay towards maybe betting the turn "next time".
Old 09-19-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He folds 27% of his hands on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

27 is low not high. That's a reason to fire again.

Also you need a fair number of hands for that stat to matter. If you post a lesser known stats always post the number of hands it's over so I can yell at you if you are using it improperly.

Krishan
Old 09-19-2005, 07:31 PM

Giving up is reasonable. I just wondered whether you were giving up or might call the river. Against all but the guys who like to turn C/R bluff, I like betting the turn. Against those guys I will sometimes bet the turn, sometimes check and call any river, and sometimes give-up.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you post a lesser known stats always post the number of hands it's over so I can yell at you if you are using it improperly.
Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

800 hands [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]