Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 01:10 AM

Default I think this river call is bad. [Fixed. I think.]

Setup: I'm drinking 3 olives vodka listening to ben folds cover 'bitches aint [censored]' early into the session. BAC ~0.10. Seat 4,5 are known players, but i have no reads on them because I don't pay attention to anyone but myself.

No one has any reads on me other than knowing I bluffed a draw for half the pot on a turn with JTs in position a few hands early. About 10 hands into the session..

Please don't ask about the preflop reraise. I do this once a month, tops. Blame the liquor. My question is about the river call.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($180.7)
BB ($185)
UTG ($189.6)
MP ($457.95)
CO ($193.6)
Kyo the Qat ($195.75)

Preflop: Kyo the Qat is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Kyo the Qat raises to $9</font>, SB calls $8, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $5.

Flop: ($29) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, CO calls $2, Kyo the Qat calls $2.

Turn: ($35) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $15</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Kyo the Qat raises to $45</font>, SB calls $30.

River: ($125) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $124.7 (All-In)</font>, Kyo the Qat calls $124.70.

Final Pot: $374.40
Old 07-10-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: I think this river call is bad. [Fixed. I think.]

The river call is fine.

You're going to be shown AJ/KJ/total crap here often enough to make up for the times you're shown a monster.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: I think this river call is bad. [Fixed.]

[ QUOTE ]
The river call is fine.

You're going to be shown AJ/KJ/total crap here often enough to make up for the times you're shown a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

My view was that the total crap factor was the clincher. I only thought about AJ in between when I decided to call and when I was shown the hand. I don't think it factored in my decision.

-kyo
Old 07-10-2005, 08:12 AM

Surely with SB smooth calling a min-raise and reraise, this is far more likely to be a pocket pair than a weak hand like AJ or KJ?? J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is possible, but this is probably a flopped set, and I would fold to the river bet.

If the action was from the CO, I'd be far more likely to call.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:40 AM

the mistake is the very small raise on the turn imo. you have the nuts, the SB likes his hand and there are 28(!!!) scare cards in the deck. a raise to 75 for a pot sized bet looks fine.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: ($35) J (3 players)
SB bets $15, CO folds, Kyo the Qat raises to $45, SB calls $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

$35 + $15 = $50
Hero bets $45

How is that small ?

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Turn: ($35) J (3 players)
SB bets $15, CO folds, Kyo the Qat raises to $45, SB calls $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

$35 + $15 = $50
Hero bets $45

How is that small ?

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

15$ of the 45$ is needed to match villains bet.

that means the pot is 65 at this point and the raise is 30 more. thats less than half the pot where i would prefer a pot sized bet or even an overbet.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:34 PM

Folding to the river bet is weak-tight-awful.

Open-raise to $4, flat-call a pf raise, gay-bet an undercard flop, wake up when a J hits, then just call a raise, go nutty when another J hits. Looks like somebody playing AJ to me.

Kyo re-raised PF, so his opponent with AJ is just praying that Kyo has AA/QQ and is attached to it. There's no way that he slowed down on the turn because he put Kyo on the straight. He slowed down on the turn because all he had was TPTK, and he thought he might be beat by an overpair.

You're making the classic 2+2 weak-tight mistake of putting opponents on extremely narrow and inaccurate hand ranges.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:35 PM

You have an extremely liberal definition of the term 'scare card'.

I suggest you see a doctor to get some anti-anxiety medication.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have an extremely liberal definition of the term 'scare card'.

I suggest you see a doctor to get some anti-anxiety medication.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your assessment.. I am not going to be scared of all 25 of of these if I've put him on any sort of specific range (ie drawing vs made).

I do feel, however, that the call is not as easy as you think. The flop donk bet is the only real clue that would lead to AJ/KJ..

And some people will make that dumb of a bet with a monster, too. They're not good players, but they can still take my money doing that sh*t from time to time.

-kyo