Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 03:14 PM

Default The Mouth at again

Personally I think the penatly should worse for each infraction not just another 10 minutes. 10 minutes for the first, 15 for the second, 30 for the 3rd and either an hour for the fourth or kicked out and on #5 out of tournament so Mike should serving about a 2 hour time out not a 40 minute one.

RZ

[ QUOTE ]
Date / Time: 2005-07-09 11:45:00
Title: Mouth Breaks the Silence
Log: "Floor on 127!" are the first words audible today, over the sounds of the clicking chips. Tournament Directors are called to the very table at which Mike Matusow sits, where he's being accused by a dealer of throwing cards. He's immediately assigned a ten minute penalty, but he adamantly and politely defends himself, and is supported by the rest of the players at the table. He's let off with a warning, but not more than a few seconds later, still steaming from the accusation, he let's the F-word slip. "Now I have to give you a 10 minute penalty," says Tournament Director Louis "You can't say the F-word." "F___ that," says Matusow. "Twenty minutes." "F_____n' great." "Thirty minutes." As Matusow leaves the area, he manages to fire off one more F-Bomb, rounding out his penalty to forty minutes, and starting a small round of applause from a crowd who up until this point, had been quite silent, and is now chatting away. Leave it to Mike "The Mouth" to get people talking.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-09-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: The Mouth at again

That is funny [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2005, 03:18 PM

Personally, I don't think there should be any penalty.

Do players in the NFL get a penalty if they swear after dropping the ball, or if the quarterback yells fu[/i]ck after throwing an interception, or if a batter in baseball is pissed that he swung and missed and lets out a little frustration????

This is the big leagues, and players are going to be playing with everything they got. Other sports don't punish it, why should poker?

Now, if you were swearing at a person or trying to insult them with swears, then that defnitely deserves a penalty, but just dropping the f-bomb out of frustration, not directing it at anyone does not really deserve a penalty, IMO. This isn't freaking kindegarden.

EDIT: However, I rarely swear myself (probably never would at a major tournament in public), so I guess I should support the rule since it would most likely only help me and never hurt me, but I still think it is a dumb rule. After all, we are all adults.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:22 PM

no, your idea is even worse than having the pathetic rule in the first place

has anyone even been able to come up with an decent argument for introducing it?

anyway, hopefully it keeps mike out of trouble and he goes on to win the damn thing, it'd shut this forum up for a while
Old 07-09-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't think there should be any penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]
Count me in on that as well. This isn't Augusta. We're talkin about poker in Vegas. Not Golf. This ain't Wimbledon. This is Poker. Poker.

AI
Old 07-09-2005, 03:26 PM

If you are bothered that much by a word you need to be at Church instead of the WSOP.

How can you be a gambler and be affected by a WORD!!!!!! Thats comedy.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:28 PM

What if this situation ever came about:

You just took a horrible beat late in a tourney. Now you are short stacked. You dropped a couple f-bombs after some donk caught his 2-outer on the river.

You get a 20 minute penalty, in which time you get blinded out of the tournament. Is this fair?
Old 07-09-2005, 03:30 PM

I agree that the F-bomb rule is bogus, but they had to penalize the Mouth for this type of behavior. He got away with throwing the cards, but couldn't let it go. Then, he is simply acting like a little spoiled child to continue dropping the F-bomb knowing it would add to his penalty. He deserves everything he got here, and this is just one more example of his self-destructive ways.

As to the football analogy, they do penalize for taunting and other unsportsmanlike conduct. I suggest that if a player got into a camera, got into the crowd and started dropping the F-bomb there would be some penalty at some point.

There does have to be some level of acceptable/unacceptable behavior. For example, Tony G's latest rant in Paris should have been handled by someone coming over and telling him to chill out or get a penalty. Especially when he started banging the rail and making stupid threats. Just another example of why they have to have some rules ... wish it wasn't so, but it is.

NCAces
Old 07-09-2005, 03:33 PM

It's a stupid rule, plain and simple. First off, this isn't being shown on live TV (is it shown on the internet live?) so they have more than enough time to edit anything out. Second, what's the point of the rule, to send a message to kids who shouldn't even be gambling in the first place?

I think the real point of the rule is to help prevent dealer abuse and all that kind of stuff, but it clearly does nothing to deter it.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:36 PM

If there is going to be a rule with a penatly then it should have more teeth and get harsher for repeat offensives. I think maybe a warning should be introduced but Mike just kept pushing it and he should be bounced if he knew the penalty was going to get worse and a chance of him getting thrown out he would never have pushed it that far.

RZ