Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: ESPN faked Set of Tens Laydown

[ QUOTE ]
Someone please tell me this isn't the real Paul Phillips. These posts have to be a joke.(But if this is you Paul your right and please keep contributing.) [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
its paul
Old 08-13-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
although in practice neither is falsifiable unless you happen to know an omniscient being who is willing to weigh in.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you've already weighed in Paul!
Old 08-13-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: ESPN faked Set of Tens Laydown: NOT TRUE

I was at the final table in WSOP Lake Tahoe. I'm the guy that bet the 67 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] which caused Tommy Reed to fold his set of tens.

I've been reading all the speculation about ESPN faking this hand, as well as theories that they faked Lisandro's laydown of 10 10 against Ivey's 99.

ALL of this speculaton is ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

Tommy Reed was a very nice guy, but not a very experienced player (obviously). The way the hand played out was 100% accurate and true. His reaction at the end was genuine and should show everyone that there was no fakery. He simply put me on the nuts (which dangit I wish I had).

The truth is, I screwed up by not betting the flop with my pair and flush draw and winning the hand right there. Of course, if I had done that, the hand would have probably never made it to TV.

As for Lisandro's laydown of 10s against Ivey's 9s, that was a very intense, exciting hand to watch. I don't fault Lisandro at all, since he had far from the nuts and it was very early in the final table (thought not actually the 1st hand as it was depicted). Ivey made (as usual) a bold, aggressive play and was rewarded for it.

My biggest beef with the show was that they had to compress over 13 hours into one, so many people (such as myself and Van Alstyne) got screwed over, and were only shown folding/losing hands and no profile.

As an Exec Producer of DVD content myself, I know the challenges of editing, so I don't really fault ESPN for this. I generally enjoy broadcasts of both WSOP and WPT, so I just gotta make more final tables to get better coverage.

I hope this deters the conspiracy theorists who are dissecting TIVO looking for continuity problems. It reminds me of the reaction to the old Alien Autopsy footage!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been reading all the speculation about ESPN faking this hand, as well as theories that they faked Lisandro's laydown of 10 10 against Ivey's 99.

ALL of this speculaton is ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for others but as I wrote in my blog, I never questioned the laydown of the set of tens.

[ QUOTE ]
As for Lisandro's laydown of 10s against Ivey's 9s, that was a very intense, exciting hand to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it? That's your evidence that this speculation is ABSOLUTELY FALSE? That you were there and it was exciting? I'm not sure how that puts you ahead of anyone else in analyzing what jeff might have had.

[ QUOTE ]
I hope this deters the conspiracy theorists who are dissecting TIVO looking for continuity problems. It reminds me of the reaction to the old Alien Autopsy footage!

[/ QUOTE ]

"Conspiracy theorist" is a phrase used by people who are afraid of openly examining the facts. You do understand that we know for sure they have faked hands in the past, right? In that light it does not require any sort of conspiracy for them to do it again. It only takes one command decision from someone who cannot see lisandro's hole card footage clearly.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The truth is, I screwed up by not betting the flop with my pair and flush draw and winning the hand right there. Of course, if I had done that, the hand would have probably never made it to TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like you. most players screw that one up. glad to see some honest, constructive introspection.

fim
Old 08-13-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest beef with the show was that they had to compress over 13 hours into one, so many people (such as myself and Van Alstyne) got screwed over, and were only shown folding/losing hands and no profile.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner!
Old 08-13-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You do understand that we know for sure they have faked hands in the past, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

where is this 'for sure' info, I missed it somewhere along the lines I tihnk.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:46 PM

A question for those who believe that ESPN has faked hands....

Why?

If the 99 v TT hand wasn't shown at all, it wouldn't mean anything.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:22 PM

i think in a lot of cases, its a problem of continuity. there are mistakes like this all the time in movies, where someone's ciggarette is in one hand or another from cut to cut, or someone's drink level fluxuates through out a scene, or lipstick on/off blah blah blah. espn has footage of tony d looking at his cards preflop, if they want to build the drama of a hand and show him looking at his cards again but he hasnt... they're forced to use the same take, even if chips are there or not. if you look A LOT of times audio does not match up with a players actions...

for example, david williams instantly calls the final hand of the 2004 wsop... but they used footage of him waiting on what greg does with nothing but norman chad's audio over top of it... it appears he is thinking because they have edited it so greg has already said all in... when in reality greg has no sooner finished speaking that david calls.

faked hands? not sure... bad editing in an effort to dumb down poker to a soap opera... most definitely.

ps... i happen to like paul phillips.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A question for those who believe that ESPN has faked hands....

Why?

If the 99 v TT hand wasn't shown at all, it wouldn't mean anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe they faked it to hype Phil Ivey and give him more street cred as the best player in the world. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]