Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Too aggressive?

Hello, I played this hand extremely aggressively. I'm wondering if it was too aggressive. After UTG's turn check, I figure I'm golden. How does this look to you guys? No read on UTG. CO is 33/12 but only 50 hands on him.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: (14.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

River: (20.16 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 32.16 BB ($190)
Old 04-14-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive?

In clarkmeister spirit, I'm going to start replying (whether qualified or not...)

Odd hand. I think you got too aggressive on the river with the 3 bet. On the turn I put CO on a low set - then he becomes concerned that you have a bigger set after you raise him again. So on that read you're still behind on the river. Then...you get river checkraised by the UTG who I think now has a set of queens (although it would be odd flop and turn play for him if so). The CO calls along since it's a huge pot and his bottom set might still be good.

I think you took third in this hand - and I'd have probably slowed down either on the CO turn bet or the river check behind.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Considering you're not going to chase out the CO I don't know that I'd cap the flop after UTG raiser 3 bets. Turn looks good. River I think is ok, looks like UTG was on AQ or maybe KsQs so even though I hate capping again when this guy is still giving so much action, looks ok. Lord knows what CO has....A5? KQ?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Reads would help. Although regardless of a read(s) - I think I'd be happy closing the action on the river after the first raise (especially with CO cold-calling in front on me).
Old 04-14-2005, 03:07 PM

I would call the river closing the action.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call the river closing the action.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-14-2005, 03:54 PM

This is a really great hand to post... Im tempted to say I dig it... but I could be convinced otherwise

Pre-Flop: Standard. Easy 3-bet. Easy Call.

Flop: A case can be made for calling the 3-bet and raising the turn. It is very likely that you have the best hand here. You are only behind to AsAd. There is a decent chance of being freerolled to the spades by another AK though (and totally screwed to AsKs). Most unknowns don't cap AsQs preflop, but that is also a possible holding. Because of COs most likely inferior hand, I like the cap.

Turn: CO wakes up, and that is odd. AK is far and away your most likely holding (if you are a solid), and he leads into you. This is odd, but the raise is automatic.

River: this is where it gets good! At first, your 3-bet looks like chip spewery. But I just cant put UTG on a hand that beats you.

Holdings where 3-bet is bad:

TJ: Umm... no.
55/88: preflop cap is very rare here.
QQ/KK: The turn/river make some sense. But, wtf is with the flop 3-bet OOP?
AsAd: I *could* see some playing that hand this way. But there is exactly 1 combination of AA.

Hands its good to 3-bet against:

AK: The turn action is weird, but all other streets check out.
AQ (especially AsQs): Preflop cap is weird. But, its not unreasonable to think this is AQ postflop.

Now, you are getting 2-1 on your raise. The problem, however, is that IF you are getting money from this pot, its very likely that you are splitting with the other player.

I think I like the 3-bet, because his action is really funky for a hand that beats you. But, I could be convinced otherwise.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I like the 3-bet, because his action is really funky for a hand that beats you. But, I could be convinced otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My first instinct was to say why 3 bet the river but after looking it back over it made more sense. Like you, I'm having a hell of a time putting UTG on anything that beats Hero here. Postflop it really looks like AQ but then pre-flop seems weird. Maybe he went gonzo with KK on the flop? I have a feeling he's just not a rational player, which would completely change the way I'd play the river.

Reads?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:05 PM

That river action seems a bit excessive to me. I wouldn't have capped the flop, either, though (i'm a weak-tighty).

I really like the turn raise (and fold to a 3-bet?), but when UTG c/r's the river, I can't think you're good here enough to 3-bet and cap, knowing you'll lose the overcaller most of the time he caps and some of the times he doesn't.

-d
Old 04-14-2005, 04:12 PM

I would have just called the river check-raise unless I know this guy to get out of line. You have defined your hand and he shows a ton of strength.

SGS