Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Defending your Blinds

This came up on the TAG table last night. A lot of comments from experienced posters that the blinds weren't being defended enough. So what is enough? What are your minimum blind defense hands? And does blind defence mean that you should reraise more or just call and take it from there?
Old 04-17-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Defending your Blinds

Hope you don't mind a reference to a book but hepfap discusses this in the HU section(s)...
Old 04-17-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hope you don't mind a reference to a book but hepfap discusses this in the HU section(s)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought it might [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It's the only book that I don't have in the collection. Ok, time to buy I suppose.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:42 PM

Sorry - I'm not expert enough to condense what he says in a couple passages and/or rules of thumb or I would've tried :-) I was just reading this specific topic a couple nights ago and it does answer each of your questions...
Old 04-17-2005, 03:25 PM

i'm no HU expert, but i do know that blind stealing and defense is fun and very situational/opponent specific. it is hard to nail down rules for these situations because much of both preflop de-fence (or stealing) and especially postflop play depends on table image and recent behavior. this is even more true at the 2+2 table where people are all paying attention and even showing down their hands.

if i ever get back to my computer i'll pull some of the hands where i defended and post my thought process or lack thereof.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This came up on the TAG table last night. A lot of comments from experienced posters that the blinds weren't being defended enough. So what is enough? What are your minimum blind defense hands? And does blind defence mean that you should reraise more or just call and take it from there?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much knowing what hands you should be defending with, but it's a matter of figuring out what hands people are stealing with. If it seems it's an open-raise anytime it's folded to late position, then look for anything like A7+, K8+, broadway cards, pocket pairs and 3-bet. If a player is folding somewhat often in that spot, then you need to tighten up more when you defend.

How does villain play postflop? Is he relentlessly going to fire away at you? Then you've got to have hands with showdown value (ie tighten up). Is he somewhat weak postflop? Loosen up and try to take some pots away from him by using a bet-3-bet on the flop, or a check-raise. All of these considerations are what make poker so much fun.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:54 PM

How about this one?

Folded to me in the SB. I hold 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The BB is Entity.

didn't remember the exact hand. edited it in, not that it makes much of a difference.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:56 PM

Fold.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:00 PM

how has he been playing?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about this one?

Folded to me in the SB. I hold 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The BB is Entity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta fold. Raising no good. If Rob likes his hand at all, you'll have to invest another SB when he raises. If he doesn't like his hand, the flop is at least as likely to hit him as you, and he has position on you.

Just fold and let him know you folded JJ out of respect for him.