Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Am I a sucker?

I was playing 2/4 tonight with a friend and there was an ass[/i]hole at the table bragging about how good he is and what not. He was of course horrible. So I decide that I should take advantage of the situation. I offer to play him heads up 10/20. After a bit of prodding he finally accepts and I smile.

So he comes to the private table I make and he agrees to play for $500. We play like 4-5 hands an I'm up $40 or so. Next hand he catches a set w/ an underpair and wins a big one to go up ~$100. Immediately he sits out. He talks some smack for a while and then eventually leaves.

So here's my question, did I make a good decision (obviously regardless of the outcome)? How many of you would do what I did in my place? If you wouldn't mind being specific with your answers that would be cool too. Something like "I'd do it" isn't really what I'm looking for. I'd really appreciate detailed responses if anyone has experience with making/accepting these heads up challenges.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Am I a sucker?

You got in a highly advantageous situation. Unfortunately, he did not keep to his agreement.
Can you get Party to set up freeze outs? If not, you will just have to take your chances, or challenge him to a HU SnG on a place like PS.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:44 AM

Im not much of a heads up challenger or accepter online, but that is just me. I dont do it b/c even if someone "agrees" there is no assurance. I never get emotional enough (NOT saying u did at all) to challenge someone to HU, I know u did it out of u thought it would be benifical to u.

But espeically when u make these challenges/agreements u gotta realize not everyone is going to stick to thier "agreement", especially if they r a truely bad player (as this guy was) b/c if he gets an edge hes gonna take it, demean u, and high tail it outta there with + money

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] That does stink though, its up to u if u wanna keep challenege people u dont know to HU, b/c there is always a chance they will screw ya unless u get them in a 2 per tounrney or something similiar
Old 02-17-2005, 06:52 AM

Wait wait wait wait wait....

You're a girl AND you play poker? If you're really cute, bonus, but regardless, SWEET.

PS. I am once again quasi'drunk and playing weboggle for money. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

GoT
Old 02-17-2005, 06:53 AM

Am I a sucker?

Dude, you recently bet me $100 that I couldn't mail you a cup of [censored]. Of course you're a sucker.

GoT
Old 02-17-2005, 06:53 AM

If you played the HU match on a party skin, then you're a sucker [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. The rake is very high.

Unless your opponent is weak(folds too much), your edge is probably too small to overcome the rake.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Dude, you recently bet me $100 that I couldn't mail you a cup of sh[/i]it. Of course you're a sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan's idea of food delivery is getting weirder and weirder.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:54 AM

You think the rake is too high even when its capped at $2 playing 10/20?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:50 AM

Early in my Party Poker career (last October I guess) this guy and I agreed to play heads up. Right away he went up a couple hundred on me; the guy hit his stuff. But he was a piss-poor player (hence, why I agreed to the HU match). Within an hour or so I was up $850. I still have the hand history file. That was sick.

As for your circumstance, the answer might be "don't be results-oriented". The few hands you played with him were positive EV. Be happy you played them. This wouldn't be a post had you taken 3 bills. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 11:00 AM

You are dumb. The point of challenging your average Donk HU on Party is to have them sit at their own private table, by themselves, for a while so they can rant and rave. Duh.