Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Bonuses
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: I\'m confused about blackjack bonuses

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Risk of ruin and bankroll size.

If you had a $1000 bankroll, think it would be a good idea to play with $500 bet size to clear a BJ bonus?

Same can be said for poker. Would you put your entire bankroll on 88 vs your opponent's AK? It is +$EV...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're misunderstanding the question.

He's asking if it's silly to reduce your bet size if you find yourself way up on a bonus. For example, say you're clearing a 100/100/4000 with a betsize of $5 and find yourself $200 up halfway through the WR. Should you reduce your bet size to lock in your winnings? No, but a lot of people do it for some reason. If someone suggested dropping down in limits in poker to lock in a win while clearing a bonus, they'd be laughed at. There really is no difference, though. I think that's what the OP was getting at, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

My impression was that a smaller bet size will decrease variance, so you have a better chance at staying close to the number you're at (so if you're up you have a better shot at staying up). You've swung up, now you reduce the chance that you will swing down. Wrong?

I wouldn't do this in poker if I considered the level I was at to be beatble by me (+ev); on the other hand, bj is -ev.