Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2003, 07:43 AM

Default he raises, I call...good poker?

15-30 game.

Folded to me 3 off the button and I raise with A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . Folded to the BB who calls.

Flop: J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

BB checks and I bet. BB checkraises and I call.

Turn: J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

BB bets and I raise. BB reraises and I call.

River: J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets and I call.

Old 07-19-2003, 01:29 PM

Default Re: he raises, I call...good poker?

hi punker
you can reraise the flop but after that, call it down. your opponents call of your reraise tells you that he has something, and while AA isn't shabby, there are too many other possibilities for you to be getting into a raising war on the expensive rounds.

reserve your aggression for the flop in these situations. of course if the board should pair along the way, a reraise makes more sense.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:36 AM

BB shows QTs?
Old 07-21-2003, 07:52 AM

I may have been more agressive after the big blind's check raise, putting him on two pair. Raising back at him and hoping the board pairs as you call through. You called his raise on the turn anyway. If he actually had the straight it was drawing dead anyway.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:54 PM

Reraising the flop is much better, than waiting for the turn to raise him. if he flopped a set, he will raise u back on the flop, and if he is on any kind of draw or top pair, he will not raise u back. My guess is he flopped a set of 9's(becoz he would have 3bet preflop with Jacks).Again, it depends on how good a player he is.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:29 PM

I would think you are way behind. The K on the turn did not seem to scare him. Considering the most likely hand he puts you on is AK given the way you played the flop and turn, he seems to be screaming I can beat one pair.

I would probably fold to the 3 bet on the turn. I think he has a set, or hit the straight on the turn, in which case you are drawing thin to dead. Or he could have J9 for two pair, which gives you more outs and justifies a call of the turn 3 bet. But I still think I lead to folding because even if you make 2-pair, you can't raise the river so you are not making enough to call.

I think the better way to play this hand would have been to 3 bet him on the flop. The problem with waiting to raise on the turn is if he only has top pair, there are many overcards that are scare cards for him, so you might not get max value on the turn and lose max value when you are behind.

Again, since you posted it, he probably shows A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] and you scoop so what the hell do I know.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:49 PM

A checkraise (as opposed to a raise) most often signifies a good hand, usually two-pair or better. What could you beat here? KK, QQ or AJ. Even with that, playing back on the flop would have defined where you were a bit clearer. His raise on the turn was the truth (players do lie on the flop) except maybe if he was a maniac, but I'm assuming he was a decent player with no other information. The only real hands you can beat at this point are A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] and QQ. Would he have played those hands this strongly? I don't pay off at the river with this one. And I do usually pay off as I prefer to err on the side of losing one bet as opposed to the whole pot.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:01 PM

it looks like u r behind here to me. he either has KJ, or J9 or QT.. unless he is a certified agreesive maniac (did i just repeat myself?).