Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2003, 03:04 PM

Default Anyone re-raise the turn?

10/20 live game last night, no real maniacs to speak of, one terrible calling station tho, to my immediate left. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I limp in MP with 55, 6 of us in, get to see the flop cheap:

3h 5s 7h

Checked to me, I bet, calling station (CS calls any amount with any pair or draw, never ever raises, absolutely beautifully genuinely terrible...) calls, button calls, BB calls.

4 of us to the turn:

Qc [3h 5s 7h]

BB checks to me, I bet again, CS and button call, BB raises now.

Two things: first, and most importantly.... I have earned, and have been getting, a lot of respect at this table. I am very aware of the fact that when I bet, people think I have a hand. Second, BB is not a maniac. He's aggressive, yes, but he's also smart enough not to slowplay a flopped straight with a board like that and 6 people seeing the flop.

Anyone re-raise? Results to follow.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Anyone re-raise the turn?

He's aggressive, yes, but he's also smart enough not to slowplay a flopped straight with a board like that and 6 people seeing the flop.

By that logic, he also wouldn't have slowplayed a flopped set. QQ seems very unlikely because he didn't raise preflop or give any action on the flop. If your read is true, some crappy free play from the big blind 2 pair or a flush draw with a Q are his most likely hands. Looks like an easy raise.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:52 PM

I would re-raise this. I would think that the opponent in questions may have 2 pair or maybe A-Qh or A-Qo. I would re-raise this 100% of the time unless I had some other reason (a major tell perhaps) not to.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:56 PM

Solid image or not, a re-raise is the play. (1) Sets are hard to come by. (2) Set over set is actually quite rare. (3) A flopped straight with 6 4 is a bit of a stretch. You are a big favorite to have the best hand, get all the value out of it you can. You said CS will call all bets, go for it. You are most likely looking at two pair. QTs, QJs, QKs would have most likely raised the flop. No pair or queen, bet the river (this assumes you wern't 4 bet on the turn).
Old 07-15-2003, 04:00 PM

I was thinking a re-raise would make it 40 cold to the 2 limpers. I guess I have to put one of them on a flush draw, so that person wouldn't go anywhere. I'd lose the other one though. My hand was big enough--and yet still vulnerable enough--that I couldn't decide whether I wanted to keep everyone in by just calling the checkraise, or get one or both of the limpers out with a re-raise on the turn.

Results still to follow, I just want some more of your valuable feedback because I'm greedy.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:40 PM

Yeah I would go ahead and re-raise and make those flush draws pay for trying to hit their heart. Make Two pair pay as well. I'm pretty sure AQ or KQ will stay in unless they are a firm believer you have a made hand, but not many players can lay down top pair no matter even if you show them your cards, LOL. Anyways go for the re-raise and pray the board doesn't bring that heart. If it does you hope it pairs the board. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ed S.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:48 PM

Why would you not reraise? I can think of a thousand reasons to reraise. Your statement about not wanting
to knock out the opponents behind you and if someone has
a flush draw they will call anyway lacks logic. You more
than likely have the best hand. There are multiple draws
out there. With one card to come you are a clear favorite
over the draws. Make them pay to outdraw you. If the big
blind flopped a straight you still have outs anyway.

Bruce
Old 07-15-2003, 05:04 PM

I would re-raise.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:06 PM

Default Results

Well, it seems to be unanimous. I've been thinking about this hand all day, thinking I should have re-raised. Your comments have sold me. Here's what happened:

I just called the checkraise, as did the 2 limpers. River was a brick:

Jd [Qc 3h 5s 7h]

BB bet out, I called, limpers folded. BB looks at me and says: "One pair". I say: "Are you serious?" He says: "Queen." And of course I'm good. Christ. The limpers were a little pissed at BB for checkraising with such a weak hand.

I think part of the reason I didn't re-raise had something to do with the whole passive friendly 'vibe' of the game, infiltrating my being. This is very unlike me--believe it or not, I'm pretty aggressive. The turn and river betting never went past $40 all night, and it seemed like just about everyone was soft-playing everyone but me. (My first time at this game, and it was well worth my while... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img])

But I didn't protect my hand, and assuming one of the limpers would have called my re-raise, I missed some bets.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:39 PM

I don't know why you WOULDN'T reraise here. What do you need to pump the pot, Quads?

PokerPrince