Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 01:26 PM

Default QQ on AQJ board

Utg with QQ, I raise 4x BB, mp calls, and button calls. Flop is AQJ rainbow. I bet half the pot, mp folds, and the button puts in a 20x reraise. The button is a very srong player and has been running the table over. He always has the goods and he knows that I have only shown down premium High pairs and knows this board hit me. If I fold, I loose very little, calling here, he will put me all in on the turn as I will be pot commited and cannot fold. Raising all in is my best play as if I am behind I have two rounds to hit my fh barring he has AA. I misplay and just call. He puts me all in on the turn and I call. The board dosn't pair and he takes it down with the nut straight.
I don't know why this hand bothers me so much. I suspected I was behind but really don't think I could fold with a set and outs to a fh. Knowing you are beat here on the flop, who folds and who goes all in?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: QQ on AQJ board

If you know you are behind to a straight you have 7 then 10 outs (usually, if a straight card comes on the turn it is 7 then 9 outs to win 3 outs to tie I think). At any rate, you are right around a 2:1 underdog. You are getting no where near 2:1 on your money, easy easy fold if you know you are behind to the straight. If you just know you are behind, either to KT or AA, it's an even easier fold. If villains range of hands is AA, KT, JJ only, it's still an easy fold. (You are a 2.5:1 dog against that range).

The only way you can make that call is if you add hands like AQ, AK, AT, to villains possible holdings. If you add all Ace broadway hands to his range (top two, top and bottom, or TPGK + gutshot) then you are a favorite over his range of hands and should do whatever you think has the best chance of getting all the money in for the cases you are ahead.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: QQ on AQJ board

Thanks fnord for the explanation. In order to get to the next level, I need to be able to make tough folds like this. I was very sure I was behind to AA, KT and felt his likely holding was kt since he knew I hit a big hand myself and he wanted me to pay to draw out on him. He had never made a move without having the other players dominated so a bluff was out of the question. I was beat and should have waited for a better spot. The only thing I beat is JJ, AQ, AJ and he would not have played those hands that way. He would have reraised much smaller amount to see where he was at. I was beat, I knew it, and I called knowing I was behind. Translation, big leak!!!!!