Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2003, 01:57 PM

Default Hand to Ponder #13

I played this hand at Uncle Thuong's noodle restaurant a while back, long before Spring (my loose-passive cousin Meng's equally loose-passive girlfriend) and Antonio ( the loose-aggressive but tricky dishwasher) became regular players in our private game. Even though it happened a long time ago, I still remember this hand because it was a catalyst in giving me the confidence that I have in my people reading skills and instincts.

The game was 20-40, nine handed. Meng limped in from early position, an army buddy of Uncle Thuong's also called from early position, a guest I didn't know limped from the cut-off, and a bearded caucasian male guest called from the button. I'm in the small blind and correctly called with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Scotty checked on the big blind. Six of us got to see the anything goes flop.

Flop came 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I checked ready to fold to a bet, then everyone also checked. Turn came Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Everyone checked to the Bearded Caucasian Man who then bet. I sensed from his body posture, the way he was looking at the board, and his betting tempo that he was probably semi-bluffing a King high straight draw. Now I should either raise or fold, right? Wrong!

I just called because I somehow sensed a lot of weakness from the other players. Somehow I knew that if I called the bet, that they would just fold. Afterall, it usually takes a stronger hand to call a bet than it takes to bet oneself. And they did fold!

I decided to bet in the dark before the river card flipped. An irrelevant small card hit and the Bearded Caucasian Man shook his head and mucked.

Old 07-25-2003, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Hand to Ponder #13

men,

Ya know, I think trusting our instincts is not just voo-doo, but knowledge of anothers play that got registered some time ago at a level we are normally not consciencely aware of. It has taken some time, but I am learning to trust that inner voice when it decides to speak.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:37 AM

hi men
so that's the correct method of betting in the dark? i have learned a great deal today. thank you men.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:56 AM

The inner voice that comes from our heart is always wanting to be heard. We should learn to listen to it's often subtle messages. It's smarter than we think.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:01 AM

To me, in that fleeting moment in time, my opponent's holding was in the light. That's why I bet in the dark. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]