Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2003, 02:06 AM

Default Re: For a good time, call.

I don't mind being conservative sometimes but not pumping it again on the turn was a mistake in my mind. There are more draws than you can shake a stick at on this board so it's not surprising you're getting huge action.

Raise it!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:11 PM

How can you be so obtuse?

That is probably the single biggest quality about a great poker player that I hope to achieve some day. Your comments and mike l.'s new poker religious vision are some of the most underrated aspects of the game.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:48 PM

There had only been a bet and a raise when it got to Tommy so if reraised, it would not be a cap.

But in any case, I agree that he ought to have made it 3 bets on the turn. The pot has about 26 small bets in it and although mathematically, you would want the PFR to call if he had AA, in practice, I would want him to either fold for the one raise that has already been made (unlikely) or call two more bets (which he just might).

Incidentally, in case the PFR was driving it all the way with AQ like a madman, then of course, not making it 3 bets is a bigger mistake on Tommy's part.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:52 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

the worrisome bet is the UTG's 3 bet. THATS the one that id be worried about. but you did get to see him fiddlin with his chips. who said watching players benefits with additional chips [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

the raiser id think may be trying to protect a little. i would think you have him beat.

it sucks being in that situation and you get your card, then the action gets to you and....uh....mm...maybe i shouldnt have..

but then i say, i called for a reason, and jack it.

situations like this sometimes remind me of a line in the movie 'good will hunting'

where he's talking to his therapist about his dad giving him punishment. his dad lays out the belt, the stick, and a wrench. the therapist says he'd go for the belt. Will shakes his head and says, no. i took the wrench. therapist asks why. Will answers, 'Because f*ck him"

why raise the turn? because f*ck them. you hit your card.

but that 3 bet from the UTG is kinda scary. though he may also have thought the raiser had something like AK or KQ.

ciao

b
Old 07-09-2003, 09:48 PM

I was referring to his 2nd chance to raise on the turn, after the preflop raiser 3-bet both Tommy and the initial turn raiser. That was when he could've capped it.

Perfect spot too, because it looks like a "ah - screw it, I cap" sort of cap and might have still led to a 2 bet river as well.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:40 PM

Yes, of course.

My bad read.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:42 PM

Great thread! I really, really, really do understand your mental state at the moment. I found it easy to get in touch with how you FELT at the time. Been there many times. That being said, I keep raising the turn anyway even if I do have to squeeze the butt cheeks together to do it. I have always remembered what my mentor shared with me. If I hit a set and the board is not totally frightning, keep raising until told by opponets re-raises that my hand is no good. Have also changed drawers after stacking chips. Have also disgustedly watched opponet stack MY chips. F**k it! I still raise.