Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2003, 07:30 AM

Default Going to war w/ a piece of cheese

15-30. Pretty loose.

Everyone limps to me on the button. I'm sitting w/ Ad6h. I take a quick glance at the passive blinds and they don't seem to be especially excited. I figure I might flop quads or something, so I call. 9 of us see the flop.

Flop As4d6d

Well, I like the flop. Tricky aggressive UTG bets. More aggressive and also tricky UTG+1 calls. Folded to me. I raise. UTG now 3-bets, which he'd absolutely do w/ either an Ace or a flush draw. UTG+1 now 4-bets, which is the kind of thing he'd do if he wanted to get me out of the way. So, I flat-call (cap is 5 bets). UTG flat calls.

Turn (As4d6d)5h

Somewhat surprisingly, UTG bets. Somewhat more surprisingly, UTG+1 raises. Perhaps most surprisingly, I 3-bet.

What do you think so far?

Old 07-09-2003, 07:32 AM

Default What happens next

UTG cold-calls the 3-bet. UTG+1 cold-calls.

River (As4d6d5h)Ts

Check. Check. I bet.

What do you think now?
Old 07-09-2003, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Going to war w/ a piece of cheese

Haven't read the results yet. Looks good so far to me. If you get 4-bet, I think it's time to slow down unless you fill on the river.

Edit: River looks good as well.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:43 PM

Nicely played, Im sure your hand was good. I think the key to the hand was the action on the flop. I highly doubt either of your oppenents would play a set this fast from UTG or UTG+1 with all of those oppenents behind them. Also, its very uinlikely either has made a straight so you can just about rule that out too considering thier position and thier flop action.

It looks like one of them flopped two pair with A4, and the other one had Ax of dimonds and didnt get there with the flush draw of hit his kicker. Good hand, this an example of how good hand reading skills get you extra bets.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:44 PM

I don't like the pre-flop limp, but lets just say you are trying to mix it up. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think your flop play is fine and what I would do if I was in this situation. Same thing goes for the turn. Why slow down? I think so far so good.

Ed S.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:48 PM

The play of the hand disgusts me. Mostly because I can't three bet the turn with scary ass boards and know I'm good like you can, and it costs me lots of money. It also makes up for some of your sins and transgressions before the flop, like your retched call with A6o after 6 callers.

Old 07-09-2003, 03:49 PM

Default Re: What happens next

If your afraid of trips or possibly an A,10 you might want to check behind. Although I'm the type of person would just bet it again and make a crying call if I got re-raised and hope it was AK I was up against. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ed S.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:13 PM

I'm not overly excited about the pre-flop call, but what the hell, it's fun to be human once in awhile. Bet the river for value and call all raises if need be. The only realistic beats out there are 44 (3 ways) & AT (6ways) and a gazillion ways you have the best hand. Besides, it will just drive the other two around the bend when you expose your hand. Heh, heh.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:34 PM

I don't like your preflop call. Sure you're getting 7:1 or 8:1, but there are not very many flops you're going to like. I like your aggression throughout the rest of the hand.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:02 PM

First of all, A6o is a veritable monster against some of the friggin' cheese YOU limp with. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Besides, given the dead money so many opponents will throw in postflop at the typical AJ's 15/30 game, the 75:1 or whatever it is to flop a full house or better justifies the 8:1 preflop call...just kidding, of course.

I think the turn played itself given Ulysses' position and his opponents' actions/tendency. The 3-bet is absolutely mandatory. I didn't pick up that these guys were type to bet/cold-call *inappropriately* with gutshots on the flops, and I just can't see a way Ulysses is behind on the turn. These two don't sound like the type that are stupid or brilliant enough to change their pace up enough to maximize their expectation on *this particular hand.* If one of these guys has a set, sh!t happens.

On the river, I might get a bit of a twinge as I thought "Aww, phuck, could this guy limp with AT, suited or otherwise." That would last a second before I bet it. I think that the key criteria on the river, regardless of where the lead bet comes from, is that no fewer than one and no more than two bets go in on the river.

Dan

P.S. That may have been the most rambling incoherent post since Elysium's last one.