Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2004, 02:56 PM

Default I feel like a fish

Loose Absolute Table.

Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO bets, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

River: (9.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, MP2 raises, CO folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 16.50 BB, between Hero and MP2.</font>

Comments on Flop call and If a turn raise was appropriate?

Thanx
Old 03-10-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Re: I feel like a fish

Preflop:

I am usually folding this unless the game has been consistently loose and passive preflop. I want to be fairly sure that I am getting five callers for hopefully only one bet. Part of the reason I fold here is I tend to hang on a little too long if only an ace flops.

Flop:

I think that check and call is the right play.

Turn: I think checking is good given that the king did not complete any staright draws. I want to get to the river as chaeply as possible, because I think that I am behind. Cutt-off must have pocket J or Q.

River: Bet it up and hope for some callers. I would have also bet if it was checked to me when no spade or straight card came. You might be beat but given the action I do not think you would have been raised.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:18 PM

JD,

Why do you feel like a fish? Even sharks deserve a runner runner every now and again. It's only fair [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. This looks fine to me.

[ QUOTE ]
...If a turn raise was appropriate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't raise if nobody bets. A bet on your part might be justified though.

TheRake
Old 03-10-2004, 03:22 PM

Flop call is ok imo. I make those calls all the time, and I'm quite sure it's wrong to fold.

I'm not sure a turn bet/raise is worth it unless you think there's a small chance you'll win the pot right there and then. Not enough people will call to make it a value bet.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:35 PM

Pre-flop is fine for thistype of table.

On the flop, I would think about betting if checked to me but I think it is close. Calling for one bet here I think is clearly correct.

On the turn I think you have an easy bet when checked to you. You may well have the best hand, but if you don't you have a lot of outs now. With this many potential callers I think the nut flush draw alone makes this a good value bet.

Your river play is obviously correct.

Nice hand.

Colgin
Old 03-10-2004, 03:36 PM

Hey Jim:

I do not think you played this like a fish.

However, I would have probably bet into the preflop raiser, actually hoping that he raises me to face the majority of the field with 2 bets. I understand your kicker sucks, and that you are facing a pf raiser, but the pot is pretty big and you have top pair in a large field. I think it is worth investing an xtra sb here to try and thin the field. Does any one agree here?

On a side note:
From your posts, you seemed to have toned down your aggression over the past few weeks. I remember reading your posts in the micro limits and thinking,"Wow, this guy is borderline maniac at times!" Now, I read some of your posts and I am wondering if it is the same guy. I am not saying whether this is good or bad....just something I noticed.

--Rico
Old 03-10-2004, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From your posts, you seemed to have toned down your aggression over the past few weeks. I remember reading your posts in the micro limits and thinking,"Wow, this guy is borderline maniac at times!" Now, I read some of your posts and I am wondering if it is the same guy. I am not saying whether this is good or bad....just something I noticed

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rico,
According to my records my PFR% is actually a little higher now than is used to be.

Postflop I have been examining my play though. My biggest leak is showing down second best. I've been trying to work on knowing when to slow down or muck these 2nd best hands.

Also, I have moved up to 2/4 and 3/6 and there were big adjustments I had to make for 2/4.

I'll have to check my Agression rating in Tracker when I get home and see how I'm doing.

Jim
Old 03-10-2004, 05:02 PM

The only fish move here is maybe calling the flop, but I think (as stated in the "Quiz" earlier in the week) at a loose low-limit table, this is a must call, as you have the nut flush draw and the fish will pay you off handsomely if you hit it. Once the flop hits, you are in major kicker trouble as most fish will play any ace, but with a spade on the board and top pair you have to see the turn if it's cheap (and it was).

No one bet the turn, so you couldn't raise, but I don't think you would win it with a turn bet, so a check is the right play IMO.