Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: newbie question... what is \"value bet\"?

I searched but nothing came up that explained what it means... I can figure it out based on the context it is used, but would like someone to explain.

Regarding the hand, most of these kinds of posts that has to do with a third flush card falling on the river say bet the river for "value" when you have a set....

What if you get raised? What's the plan?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Thanks...

Good advice on all accounts...I think I knew the answer, just needed to hear it.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Am I too afraid of the suck out??

You made 2 mistakes as far as I can tell:

1) You missed a value bet on the river, as others have said.

2) You explained your logic to "an extremely loose, bad bluffer, who bets every river". Do you want him to stop?
Old 03-17-2004, 03:53 PM

I have to agree--especially the part about teaching a bad player at your table. Many times it will frustrate them more if you say nothing.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:07 PM

Tough call, IMO. I don't think that you are wrong either way, but with that board he easily could have had a weak ace or king as well as a flush or gutshot draw, so in this case I think I bet. If I get raised I swear and make the crying call.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:57 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
When I showed my hand an extremely loose, bad bluffer, who bet every river said "no bet?" I explained my logic

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh.

Why? You know, you didnt just tell him, you told the whole table how/why you played that way. Ask him why he'd bet along with other leading questions about 'his' play. Get the focus off of your play. I wouldnt give them any info. They can pay for that.

Force yourself to bet some rivers. You may be very suprised at how often your hand will hold up. Yes, you will be raised at times, but what will the raiser generally have? That 'scare' card is just as scary to them as it is to you. This goes for some turn bets too.

b
Old 03-18-2004, 12:25 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

It's basically pushing your edge... here are 2 examples:

1. You have JJ in the BB and 6 people call. You raise for value even though you won't narrow down the field, because you have SUCH a big advantage over the field.
2. A bet on the river when you think you might have been rivered, but you don't want to risk it getting checked through. If it's heads up and you have top pair, and the middle card just paired (you have KQ and board is KT79T), you should bet even though you might have lost, because there are many worse hands that will call you down.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:58 AM

If you want your opponents to call, you have a value bet.

This is the exact opposite of a bluff, where your bet with the hope that your opponents will fold.

A semi-bluff is a bet that is a marginal value bet combined with a marginal bluff to make a +EV play.

If you don't know this stuff, I suggest you read "Hold 'Em for Advanced Players" or "Theory of poker"
Old 03-18-2004, 01:02 AM

A value bet is a betting because you think your hand is good and it will be called by a worse hand.

There are many reasons to bet in poker, but only a couple once you reach the river. With no more cards to come, a bet is typically a bluff or a value bet.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:39 AM

i am a river wuss. so, when should you not bet the river? is there any time that you bet the turn but not the river? i really hate getting checkraised on the river, as sometimes it completes their implied odds to have drawn out on me.