Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Extracting the minimum with Nut Flush

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|saw showdown</font>

MP ($197)
CO ($171.10)
Hero ($200)
SB ($278.57)
BB ($318.51)
UTG ($84.60)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
1 fold</font>, MP calls $2, 1 fold</font>, Hero raises to $8</font>, SB (poster) calls $7, 1 fold</font>, MP folds.

Flop: ($20) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
SB bets $10</font>,Hero raises to $25</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: $55

As you can see I already know how to extract the minimum. But how do you extract more? I know this is a very unaccurate, basic question, just want an idea on the general line. Do you:

a) Flat Call, hoping Flush-Draw, Pair, Bluffer keeps getting and raise somewhere on Turn.
b) Raise the Flop like me in the hopes of a Set attacking hard or a big bluff.
c) Something else?
Old 11-24-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Extracting the minimum with Nut Flush

I don't think there's really much you can do here. That flop is going to scare everyone no matter what you do. I would personally want to have a very LAG table image so my raise would be seen as a bluff.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:31 AM

I assume you're talking from the A6 perspective despite the converter saying the SB was "poster". I hope this raise preflop isn't standard procedure. So you've flopped the nut. Calm down, there's no reason to raise this flop. This is one of those times when giving a cheap turn card to OOP opponent is fine. You want him to improve his hand and the only card that could scare him away for good is a diamond, which at this point is highly unlikely. Make him pay for his hand on the turn when a black card falls and he gets more secure in his hand which holds no diamonds. That way it's also more difficult for him to suspect you flopped the nuts. If he's got a set or smallflush (which he obviously didn't), you'll get paid just as much on the turn as the flop but many many more hands like toppair or twopair will be much more willing to throw money at you when a secure-feeling turncard comes up on that scary board.

Also, there is no such word as "unaccurate"

sox
Old 11-24-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope this raise preflop isn't standard procedure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate on this further? I overlimp in that situation also, but for a reason that I'm not entirely satisfied with currently.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:11 PM

Raising this PF is fine. My reasoning is there is alot of dead money in the pot, I have position with a mid suited Ace.

What would your play be if everyone folded to you?

Overlimping may be fine if your opponents aren't noticing your play: Ghazban and his leak??

Edit: Also, I don't mind calling the flop, as opposed to raising. You have position, so lets see what SB does on the turn.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:20 PM

No need to raise the flop. If SB wants to donate you should encourage it by going into calling station mode. As long as sb keeps betting call the turn and raise the river.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope this raise preflop isn't standard procedure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate on this further? I overlimp in that situation also, but for a reason that I'm not entirely satisfied with currently.

[/ QUOTE ]

This preflop raise is perfectly fine and should certainly be a part of your arsenal - I just wanted to make sure it wasn't 100% of the time. You can scoop up the dead money and shift up your play, but Axs is a trouble hand. I just wanted to throw that out there is all.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:42 PM

Thx for all of your responses, I already thought should have called the flop and then attack at the turn.

About the preflop raising: I nearly always raise with Suited Aces in position, even against a limper. I understand your possible concerns, that small suited aces are easily dominated, because most players autocall AX, or even just call hands like AK / AQ / AJ preflop because they want to have a good flop first before attacking.

My main reason for raising: I think I know how to play a weak ace. I wont go broke against an AK opponent, if we both flop an ace. However, if someone limp-called AK preflop he could easily go broke against my A5s if I flop two pair...

What I dont like about raising suited aces: I fear that a raise drives out weak suited Kings / suited Queens in the SB/BB, who would have played other wise, made second best flush and pay me off nicely.

I dont know exactly which effect is stronger, thus if raising / not raising is better. I think that preflop play is very player / style dependent. My style certainly is to RAISE a lot [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]