Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Any love for 5 Card Stud?

I have scoured the forums looking for info on five card stud, and can't find any.
I want to learn the game (correct strategy of course) and am looking for some solid information or literature on it. Hold'em has become slightly nauseating, I've learned 7 Stud H and am not interested in Omaha. Gracias for any insight.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Any love for 5 Card Stud?

5 card stud became obsolete before the large surge in poker interest in recent years,so consequently,there is no decent literature on it to my knowledge.Apparently the hi-lo games have not caught your fancy yet,but I would suggest that you give 7-stud8 a chance.It's really a great game for a thinking player.Good luck to you. Ben
Old 12-10-2005, 04:20 PM

I am trying to give stud8 a chance Ben ... as you can see in another post I also started my stud8 career a couple of days age with a giant rush (mainly as a consequence of being way too loose, but hitting my draws and lows I have found after reading a bit of Zee)

But it is already starting to annoy me ... I do not mind playing tight, but to get a hand you can play max once every half an hour .. and then usually being forced to lay it down on fourth or fifth is a bit over the hill boring

It is just me or ... what is the deal ??
Old 12-10-2005, 05:46 PM

Occasionally I see an old Dover Books paperback from the 60's or 70's in the bookstore. The two games it talks the most about are five-card draw and five-stud (with additional material on some home wild-card style games), and the five-stud game referred to interestingly has the high card making the bring-in bet (or optionally folding). At any rate, i can't vouch for the quality of advice but at least it's cheap, and might be a start. Alas, I don't recall the title.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
over the hill boring

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess that you need to convince yourself that the fun is in the winning, not in the action. Maybe the people in the Psychology Forum will have more insight.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:10 PM

Or maybe I'm missing something here, stating your thoughts is the easiest way to find out, If you are wrong [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I gather from your responce MikeBandy, that you argree with me, that Stud/8 is boring ... but you see if the fun is only in the winning, then poker turns into a job and I already have a job, that is bordering on boring [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2005, 06:12 PM

Guyon.Yea,it is slow.I play stud8 for about 3hrs a day in a live game,& you spend a lot of time watching.You say you're getting tired of holdem.I was having the same problem with limit holdem & started playing some no-limit for a change of pace.Just a thought.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:45 PM

The other way around .. I am a NL hold'em player (Started playing at Ladbrokes an english site that does not allow US residents to play), and it seems that europeans or brits simply do not play limit poker (Even Stud is only spread pot limit)

So I've started playing limit hold'em .. and stud .. I actually like Stud a lot, exept for two big rushes one in stud high and one in stud8, I am only breaking even ... but I really enjoy it

Stud8, since you really are not playing many hand, maybe the trick is to multitable, I just haven't got a clue if that is a good idea and how many table one should play (and I have a feeling, that it still will be slow ... heh)
Old 12-10-2005, 09:16 PM

I used to have a book called "Friday Night Poker" by Irv Roddy.I bought it in 1962(Yea,I'm real old).It was a great book that covered every game you can imagine. I'm sure it must have had a good section on 5 card stud.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have scoured the forums looking for info on five card stud, and can't find any.
I want to learn the game (correct strategy of course) and am looking for some solid information or literature on it. Hold'em has become slightly nauseating, I've learned 7 Stud H and am not interested in Omaha. Gracias for any insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd think you'd find that 5 card stud is pretty boring. There's basically no strategy involved beside knowing which players bluff and which start with a pair. Hand reading is extremely simple because only one card is hidden.

It's also a pair game. Straights and flushes are almost unheard of. So best pair/two pair wins most hands.

Joseph