Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2003, 10:43 PM

Default River Explosion

30-60 game at the Bellagio. Hero is a friend of mine and a strong player. I wasn't playing in the game, so I don't have much detail about the table texture. Button was described to me as "aggressive."

Hero has 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. EP, MP, and the button limp. The small blind completes. Hero checks.

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Small blind checks, hero checks, and it is checked around.

Turn is the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Small blind checks, hero checks, and it is checked around.

River is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Small blind checks, hero bets, EP raises (reacting to the river card in a way that suggests that it helped his hand), MP folds, and button 3-bets. Small blind folds. What is your action?
Old 11-10-2003, 11:06 PM

Default Re: River Explosion

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is a friend of mine and a strong player

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why did he allow flopped trips to be check around twice?

I think he has to fold and played terribly.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 11-10-2003, 11:10 PM

Then why did he allow flopped trips to be check around twice?

I think he has to fold and played terribly.

I don't understand why you evaulate the hand this way. I for one would play my hand this way sometimes, especially in the Bellagio 30-60. In that game, people rarely leave money to rot in the middle of the table, so to speak. I was shocked when he told me that five players, including an aggressive button, checked a 6522 board in a Bellagio 30-60 game.

Why do you think he should fold?
Old 11-10-2003, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I for one would play my hand this way sometimes, especially in the Bellagio 30-60.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I see no reason to check the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think he should fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I re-read the post, I would over-call. I was caught up in the check-arounds and maybe I was thinking he should punish himself and fold.

Hope it warm there, it starting suck up East here.

Peace,
JT
Old 11-10-2003, 11:32 PM

Because if you never check good hands twice then when you do check the turn, your opponents will be all too happy to bet you off your overcards/gutshots/etc. that you'd like to see a river card with.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because if you never check good hands twice then when you do check the turn, your opponents will be all too happy to bet you off your overcards/gutshots/etc. that you'd like to see a river card with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't put in long enough sessions to create such a situation. Nor do I play a level where I see the same players over and over. Therefore, I was unable to see any reason what so ever to check.

I think I understand but I still don't like it.

Peace,
JT
Old 11-11-2003, 09:22 AM

Is a baby three of a kind a good enough hand to play that way? I don't think so. Maybe after the flop, but once the turn card produced the making of a flush and straight, he had to punish those players trying to make their hands. To give free cards now, so you can get freecards later seems like a loser to me.

spoody
Old 11-12-2003, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be a valid point if you're playing short-handed against your usual group of regulars. Against a loose field of unknown tourist, that is not an important consideration.
The biggest problem with checking good hand twice is that you're letting the worse players (people who'd call with almost anything) off cheaply.
I think he should fold here since the pot is not that big, and it is likely he's up against a straight.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:30 PM

Granted our "hero" shouldn't fold. He should call and look at a straight. The hand was played poorly. I'm not a fan of slowplaying. Too often you give free cards, and you're not getting this hand out on the turn.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:33 PM

Too often you give free cards, and you're not getting this hand out on the turn.

Huh?