Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Bob Ciaffone One Table Quiz

Al,
Read the mathematical arguments by Praying Mantis and Bozeman and you'll change your mind. It does look close. It's not.

Doc
Old 03-07-2004, 10:43 PM

which pro said push and which said fold is mostly irrelevant. It's obviously somewhat borderline.

The one thing you said that I disagree with is push in with any two cards UTG. I would still be at least somewhat selective here, winner take all or not. Knowing nothing about the raiser UTG, I would also assume more than almost any two cards, but less than simply super-tight AA-KK-AK. As I already said, make the BB 600 or more and things might change.

al
Old 03-08-2004, 01:01 AM

Fold is my answer. I believe that in most instances I am behind. But that is not the reason for folding. Those that dismiss survival play because there is one winner are making a mistake. Survival skills are always relevant in tournament poker. If you do not survive you lose, plain and simple. If you choise to gamble in a tournament then you should try and gamble when you believe you have the best of it. Certainly there are times to consider pot odds but taking close pot odds when one result is elimination must be weighed carefully. If winning does not provide as significant a result as losing then it might be right to not take the bet.

The old addage of being first in rather than calling is a powerful tournament tool. Folding here still leaves you with manuevering room.

That said, if someone can show mathematically that calling results in a higher EV then calling is probably correct. I just don't believe anyone can do that.

Vince
Old 03-08-2004, 01:49 AM

Hiya La Brujita,

I call this in a heartbeat. If I pass on this hand, I'm down to only a little over 3xBB in two hands (unless by some miracle I catch a monster in the small blind), which leaves me almost no maneuvering room when I'm on the button. I'm going to have to push with almost any two cards, or be all but busted in the BB a hand after that.

I'm getting just under 2:1 from the pot (1300 to win 2500). It is hugely unlikely that I'm a big underdog; only AA, KK, AK, and AQ do that. I'm ahead of some hands with which he'd make this move (KJs, KTs, JTs, QJs, etc.), only a coin-flip underdog to lower pairs, and only a 3:2 underdog to AJ or lesser kicker. On average, I figure I'm a 5:4 dog here, getting over 2:1 from the pot. That's a big overlay, and I think it's a clear call.

Cris
Old 03-08-2004, 02:19 AM

Hey,

The key to thw question is that all the stack sizes are about even.

With those blind sizes... nope.. not goin all-in with KQ off. ( within the parameters/info given )

CJ
Old 03-08-2004, 10:20 AM

I thought one of the coolest things about this quiz is how great players (the pros not us [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]) disagree on a problem set up with pretty simple parameters.

I think many people (certainly me included) sometime forget that there is more than one correct way to play many hands.

That being said (and I am about to contradict myself) I think a fold here is a clear mistake given you have no information on the raiser.