Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 12:05 AM

Default passive overpair

3/6 3-handed against decent opponents, one(SB) who's slightly tilty and laggy.

Button raises, SB cold calls, I 3-bet QQ out of the BB. Both call.

Flop comes 886
SB checks, I bet, both call.

Turn: 2, suits irrelevant
SB checks, I check, button bets, sb calls, I call

River: K
checked to the button who bets, sb folds, I call(would've overcalled as well).

I know this goes against the ssh grain, but when people smooth call paired flops in a multiway pot, alot of the time it is trips waiting to pop the turn,which I wouldn't be thrilled about since it is usually the trips but could be the other pair or something so I would call down. Also, checking gives people the opportunity to bluff when they might be drawing dead.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: passive overpair

Bet the turn, I can't imagine why you decided not to. You have tons of value, and your hand is good most of the time. People will also raise you with worse hands, so you might even get more value. Given that you didn't pull off your screw play and check raise! Given that you didn't, the king kinda sucks, so I guess you can just check call. Maybe you should bet/fold though. If button is too LAGGY, you might have to call his raise though.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:56 AM

Gotta bet the turn IMO. Imagine if button had instead decided to check behind K9 on the turn here.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:30 AM

Yeh looking back I agree the turn should be bet. I've been put off by running poorly and seeing trips here all the time.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:15 PM

I would bet the turn here for value, but, depending on the opponents and flop texture, I may pull a c/r here. Since you checked the turn and the last to act bet and the next guy called, you have to raise this! You're missing out on too much value when you check this turn, and you lose even more when two other people put money on the turn and you fail to raise the field. Any pair or any single Ace, King, Queen, anything drawing really will pay up to draw. Extract some value!
Old 12-08-2005, 08:20 PM

if hes waiting to pop the turn, hes prolly CRing you...Im raising his turn bet personally...if he 3 bets clearly you need to be worried and then its a close call between folding and calling through
Old 12-08-2005, 10:28 PM

this is a very safe board for you. Honestly, if you are doing this, then you might as well pull off a screwplay on this turn. I just don't see the reason to be afraid of that board, this is a very easy bet on the turn, and I think that its a pretty safe bet on teh river too