Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-07-2005, 01:07 AM

Default How do i respond to a river c/r

no real reads, my 2nd orbit at the table or so.
MP Seems decent, didnt do anything out of the ordinary
His C/R at the river confused me, and I was really unsure how to respond to it.

Any advice?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG folds, MP calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, MP calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="green">HERO?? </font>
Old 12-07-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: How do i respond to a river c/r

I don't know what others will say, but I don't see a lot of value in a 3-bet. We have to call a cap, but we're rarely good when we do. Seems like a fine place to just call the check/raise.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:27 AM

Very weird hand. Normally I would say just to call here but this guy bet the flop. If he had a hand he wanted to slowplay why would he bet this flop? The river doesn't change a whole lot. I just don't get his play here. I'd assume AK is good here and go ahead and 3-bet it. His play isn't consistent with any standard donk lines for better hands.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:33 AM

Im just calling. No idea what he could have sorry.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 AM

If that 3 really helped him, more power to him. I do not know why, but this reeks of someone trying to pull something on you. That is one hell of a brick to be pulling that stunt on. I do not think he flopped two pair and turned a cute boat, as that board is not the time to start getting tricky with strong but vurnlerable hands.

Maybe it's just me failing to avoid the trap of ME LIKE HAND ME RAISE, but I see no reason to not 3-bet here.

-K
Old 12-07-2005, 02:13 AM

I don't rule out the threat of a fullhouse.
K9/KT: he calls both preflop bets, bets flop but gets scared of the straight or better. Turn, makes the fullhouse and decides to do the delayed checkraise, hoping to trap both of you.
K3: Bets flop, but figured to slow down because of your aggression. Turn looks good, then river looks even better, decides to trap.

Seems weird for a donk to play the QJ, TT, or 99 that way though.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:44 AM

I'd 3-bet it. He could easily have a ten and think now that there are two kings out it's impossible for you to have one too.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:52 AM

For the people who want to 3-bet: do you call a cap? IMHO, if you 3-bet this, it should be with the intention of folding to a cap. Since I certainly couldn't do that, I just call the raise.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:16 AM

Folding to a cap after you 3 bet is almost always wrong. The pot's huge and you can never rule out someone going wild with something you beat, even from usually straight foward players. That being said I just call.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:38 AM

Nothing that ever happens at Party 1/2 would make me 3-bet and fold to a cap. This guy has already played his hand very strange, and by the time he caps you'll be getting something like 17-1. This hand is going to showdown.