Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 11:59 PM

Default vague theoretical question, kinda interesting

this question is probably more relevant for 4-handed or less, but can be applicable for 5 and 6 handed with observant opponents.

in a heads up situation where you put in the last bet preflop in position, how often do you check behind on the flop with a made hand (say, high second pair or better) to make your other flop checks (which obviously aren't that often, but frequent enough to matter) less exploitable?

I've been doing this very rarely, but I feel like it makes me too readable when I check behind on the flop, which I will do occasionally if the flop completely misses me and I think it hit my opponent.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: vague theoretical question, kinda interesting

i can see some reason behind it since you get a double-sized bet on the turn. if he bets on the turn, i call and then raise the river bet if he does so.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:26 AM

Sometimes it can be right to check behind because it's the higher EV move, but I'm asking how often, if ever, do you check behind for metagame reasons, so that when you check behind with weak hands they won't be able to bet the turn with impunity?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:30 AM

In these situations I tend to bet when checking would be higher EV for metagame reasons. I'm sure it could go the other way too, but I don't quite have a grasp an when it would be most applicable.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:25 AM

How about - instead of increasing your check behind when made frequency, you increase your bet when not made frequency. Most of the time in 6max (or less), when you have position HU and get checked to, you raised preflop. If you only check behind in this spot if you're essentially giving up on the hand, than you do not need to worry about them beind exploitable (by giving on the hand, you are giving permission to exploit, and that is fine). You'll get more action on your made hands this way and you'll win a lot of 2 bet pots this way.
This is basically the reason why we are told to play aggressively in shorthanded limit.

If someone starts checkraising you way too often, you have to take free turn cards with drawing hands and invite the checkraises with made hands.