Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 02:22 PM

Default mononucleosis

My girlfriend just confirmed at the doctor's office that she has mono. She has felt bad for the past week. I am feeling fine and not showing any signs or symptoms.

Is there any chance that I could just be a carrier? I know that most likely my symptoms are just currently lying dormant and will prob start to show up in the next week or two...

This is bad timing as I am graduating in mid december and starting a job the very next week.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: mononucleosis

I got it freshman year in school. I know who I got it from b/c we hooked up the night before Christmas break. I was fine for an entire month, first week back at school it hit me like a ton of [censored] bricks.

Be prepared, my doc said incubation period around a month before it hits you, prepared for not so good times.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:45 PM

mono sucks ass

also, you can have it for a while and not have symptoms
Old 11-27-2005, 02:48 PM

My gf got mono when i was in high school. I never got any symptoms. At a doctor's appointment a year later (I think to get a shot I needed for college, not cause i was sick) they did some blood tests and I found out I "had" mono and was now immune. I never felt sick for a single day.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:57 PM

You should do some reading up on mono. I had it in high school and it sucked ass. However IIRC, there is some debate about how contagious it is, and how it is transmitted. There seems to be some correlation to people developing it after a long period of not getting enough sleep and working themselves too hard.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:24 PM

I developed the symptoms a week after sophomore year of college, after having finals and interning for a week. I was out of commission for a week, thankfully nothing more. Do not plan on being able to do anything for at least a week if you feel horrible for a day or two, b/c it does take some time to get out of the system.

IIRC, 1 month from contact to displaying symptoms seems applicable in my case.

Just make sure that you aren't overworking yourself now that you know that you're at a much higher risk.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should do some reading up on mono. I had it in high school and it sucked ass. However IIRC, there is some debate about how contagious it is, and how it is transmitted. There seems to be some correlation to people developing it after a long period of not getting enough sleep and working themselves too hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what I was looking to hear... thx.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what I was looking to hear... thx.

[/ QUOTE ]

np...when I contracted mono, it was after a few weeks of not getting enough sleep and partying too much (I had just turned 18, which is the drinking age here). My girlfriend didn't contract it, and we'd been "swapping fluids" right up to the day where I was diagnosed with it.

Other than a feeling of being worn down, the biggest tell-tale sign is that your neck glands will swell up big-time, and you'll get a really bad sore throat that won't go away for days.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the biggest tell-tale sign is that your neck glands will swell up big-time, and you'll get a really bad sore throat that won't go away for days.

[/ QUOTE ]

My throat hurt so [censored] bad they had to prescribe me codene and vicodin just so I could take down fluids.

It was probably the worst week of my life.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any chance that I could just be a carrier?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am called "the carrier monkey" thanks to my girlfriend and her friends. In high school, two girlfrineds in a row came down with mono, hard. I felt fine, but within a couple weeks of dating, they were out. I am almost never sick, so when I came down with something bad enough to keep me from school for two days, I went to the doc. I had mono, but it wasn't bad enough to really keep me away from normal activities aside from the first couple days.

In college, the first three girls I dated all came down with mono a couple weeks after we started seeing each other. Other than that short time in high school, I've never felt sick in the least.

Let me know if you think you're a carrier, because then I can blame any sickness on my girlfriend's propensity to cheat, call her a whore, and break up with her.

Enjoy!