Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: What\'s your move?

Your opp would probably have bet a straight draw maybe even a gut shot, so this would be a textbook time to slowplay. You have position so it doesn't get any better than this.

On the turn, I would bet half the pot if an overcard fell and probably bet the pot if a 5 or 7 fell.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you would be surprised at how many people check here with small pairs and draws.

i'm not saying never slowplay this. but i am saying, it's probably smart to bet here sometimes: especially if you have an aggressive table image. (now that I think of it, if this guy checks preflop from the BB against only the SB with 88, he probably doesn't have much of an aggressive image)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record, I'm not "this guy"...This hand was posted by someone else. I responded that I thought a slowplay was good, and all hell broke loose.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SB checks to you. What's your play? Is this a good hand for a slowplay?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure. i doubt it. say you have 2 options: either bet 100 or check.

if you check- you are giving a free card to a straight draw (theres like 6 or 7 possible ones out there). that's not good, but it's not a huge deal. this is what's more important: if the SB hits a pair on the turn, how likely are you to find a way to get him allin?

now, if you bet $100 on the flop, will the SB call with any pair or any draw? if he will, obviously you want to bet that 100. now, if he calls, the pot is bigger, and it should be easier to get him to call some more on the turn. you can get him allin now if he hits a pair.

by betting you are representing: an 8,a 6, a 2, or a bluff. those are the hands your opponent will put you on.

if you check and bet the turn- what your opponent puts you on will be very dependant on the turn card. there's a good chance that the turn card will be such that he will fear a straight or a pair higher than 8. wouldn't you rather have him assume you have an 8?

if he won't call 100 on the flop, there's no way he's going to get allin on this hand anyway.

By the way, not going allin preflop was absolutely awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting analysis, Willie. You ask how likely it is to get the opponent all-in, even if he pairs on the turn. Is that always the goal of a slowplay? My thinking is that if I bet my set on the flop, I might scare him away if it missed him. If I give him a chance to pair up on the turn, he may lead bet into me. I may not get him all-in, but I think I still get more value out of the hand.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably check-raise the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, didn't realize you had posistion. Silly me.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:14 PM

t200 bet. im almost overly aggressive at this stage of a tourney with any stack higher than 700. let him make the mistake of calling you.