Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 12:06 AM

Default ok MLG, can I get away from this one?

Sorry about the subject. Just busting some chops. But would like a little feedback on this play.

Stars $10 semi turbo, or whatever they call it. Blinds go up every 10 mins, so you have to take some risks and accumulate chips. Blinds are 75/150, I'm UTG +1 with A/Q and about 1600 in chips. I min raise to 300, thinking that should represent strength based on my position. I get one caller, blinds fold. Flop is Q/J/9 rainbow. I'm first to act. I figure I have to protect my hand and any bet all but commits me, so I push. He has K/10 for nut st8 and I'm done.

Thoughts? Should I have made smaller bet on flop? Bigger bet preflop? Any comments are appreciated.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: ok MLG, can I get away from this one?

I would open for at least 450 with your hand before the flop, but either way you going busted with this hand.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I min raise to 300, thinking that should represent strength based on my position

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

All a min raise does is gives guys who have loose calling standards, and better position, a reason to call PF.

Back to the hand...most go broke there.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 02-09-2005, 12:23 AM

open for a little more preflop. on the flop when you have just over 10 BBs, if you play AQ from EP and flop top pair you need to take it to the felt.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:33 AM

Thanks guys. I think opening for 3X BB in this spot probably would've won me the blinds, as i doubt he calls it with K/10, but who knows. But just for arguement's sake, what do you think of limping here with A/Q and if I get the same flop, what's the play?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:18 AM

Limping with this hand is an awful play here. It doesnt play well in multiway pots. Your short enough that the blinds are important to you. It seems like you don't want to put chips in the pot. That's fine, then fold. Folding is your 2nd best option here behind raising to about 2.5x-3x.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:18 AM

I would push PF.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:22 AM

its not an awful play, but what hand that you beat calls you in that spot?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:17 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
its not an awful play, but what hand that you beat calls you in that spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

how short would you have to be to push here. simiarly, would you be pushing with AA? what about TT? AK?

I'm assuming you wouldn't push with AA, because you want callers. TT seems to be in the same boat as AQ (though maybe a bigger favorite over hands that'll call). AK seems like a pushing hand because you're a position where you need to gamble (blinds increasing fast with a shortish stack) and you could get called by AQ or another short stack with AJ. JJ seems similar. you don't mind gambling with AK or AQ, and there are worse pairs that will call you.

how's my logic?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:31 AM

Your logic is perfect. I'd push with 7 or 8 BBs, but not almost 11, especially when there are no antes. I don't know that I would push with many hands from EP here, as the range I feel comfortable doing it with is sufficiently small that it would completely give my hand away (AK, QQ, JJ). So, with all of those I guess I just make my standard raise of 2.5x. Sometimes you can land yourself in an awkward spot, but that's tournament poker.

On a side note, if the stacks are much deeper than your typical online tourney (say a live big buy-in event) then AQ, JJ, 1010, 99, are all pushable because with the deeper stacks you are more liable to get looked up by something that beats you.