Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 03:05 PM

Default A common situation

This is a situation in which I feel I did not get the proper value for my hand. When I raise the flop and he just calls, should that make a turn bet automatic? Would simply calling his flop bet, along with his hypothetical bets on the turn and river, as if I'm WA/WB be better? This situation comes up often, and I'd like to have a better course of action for the later streets when there is only one over card to my pocket pair. I should add that the villain in this hand was basically an "any two can win" type of player who almost always saw the flop and would often bet if checked to or if he was first to act.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
[color=#666666]2 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises</font>, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, SB calls, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]SB bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

*BTW, this is the first hand I've posted and I know next to nothing about HTML. How can I clean it up so the "[color...]" brackets don't appear in my post?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: A common situation

*grunch*...or whatever [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

If you're going to raise the flop, I think you need to go ahead bet the turn when checked to. If you get c/r...well we'd need some reads.

Same on the river. Would he call a bet with worse hand. Would he bet if he made a hand on the river or try to c/r.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:20 PM

You have postion. I would raise the flop and fold the turn UI if re-raised. If he calls my raise and checks the turn, I would bet. If he calls the bet and checks the river I would check.

If I am behind I saved 1 SB by raising the flop and taking the lead because I can check behind on the river.

If he re-raises, I am out of town.

The fact that he bet the flop after you were a pre-flop raiser and an A fell would spook me.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:27 PM

FWIW, I have similar problems. One thing I've noticed a lot is that if the overcard is an A, I can count on being behind. People just love to play Ax.

Here villian could have an A (you're behind), another pair (you're ahead) or a flush draw. When he calls your bet instead of raising, I put him on the FD. I'd bet the turn to make him pay for the FD and check behind/call the river.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that he bet the flop after you were a pre-flop raiser and an A fell would spook me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I'll bet at the preflop raiser on an ace in order to feel him out. Especially heads up. Now granted, I suck at poker, but it seems that might be one of these type situations.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:58 PM

Flop seems standard. I think we should be betting the turn. The way we played it, we can bet the river, and fold if he raises. I can't see the donk c/r'ing after it gets checked through on the turn. We will probably see a weak ace here a fair amount of time, but not enough to discount a value bet on the river.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*BTW, this is the first hand I've posted and I know next to nothing about HTML. How can I clean it up so the "[color...]" brackets don't appear in my post?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the converter, choose "2+2 forums" and everything will work out just fine.

In the hand, with no read, I would just call-call-call (bet if checked to). But I've been playing short-handed where people go bet second place hands far too often for their own good. If you raise the flop, you should be bet-folding the turn.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just call-call-call (bet if checked to)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-06-2005, 04:44 PM

Why raise this flop? You're in a hand heads-up with a small pot. Aggressive or not, your opponent called the pre-flop raise and may well be ahead. You've few outs to improve. Call him down on the flop. I'd call/check to the end and make him pay for his trip. If he's ahead, it's money saved. The value you refer to in those two queens is better invested in flops with no overcards and more opponents. I think countering aggression with aggression here is a long term loss. There are simply too many aces going to these micro-limit flops.