Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: September goals/results and new goals for October

Wow, you are completely correct, and that is why I am setting my goal to 30%. I am setting a goal that both challenges my limits and minimizes the likely hood of luck.

Think it through for a moment, I'm sure we're nearly on the same page. 30% will DEFINITELY have luck in it, but it will also VERY LIKELY have skill involved in it as well. What do you have to say about 18%, at least in the short term?

Edit: To answer your question, I'm not setting it to 80% because logic dictates that you cannot get 40% ROI from skill. It's a disproportionate percentage of luck VS skill where skill impacts the percentage by a smaller margin than luck. Whereas 20% ROI is achievable with skill, so 30% ROI is not disproportionate at all.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:30 AM

I assume the idea behind goal setting is to achieve more than you think is probable? So, everyone who sets goals higher than what is probable will fail more often than not. In this case, I don't think there is a way to decide what the right balance of goal setting beyond "probable" is best.

I think this goal is better: Win the next tournament you play.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My October goal is to make at least $5000 including rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

My new October goal is to make $4500.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:02 AM

Default October...

First goal is to play at stars for a few days clearing the bonuses I've racked up there, and work on my game a bit.

Next goal is to be playing back at party by the 20th (I've already got rakeback), and then do a 10k in 10 days kind of challenge.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:38 AM

My only goal is to play more. By the time I get home from work and school I dont ever feel like playing. I would quit my job but I need the letters of recommendation to get into law school which really pisses me off knowing I could be making 5x as much but am stuck working there 20hrs a week instead.