Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Short-Handed

During the forum game the other night I was surprised when AJ was limped UTG 6 or 7-handed. I asked about it and Durron explained that 6-handed is significantly different from 9-handed. I was wondering if anyone might expand on this. Usually my SNG play is defined by the blinds, I go from folding a whole lot to pushing a whole lot and don't find myself playing poker inbetween. But, in my home game, we usually start 6 or 8-handed with fairly small blinds (that each person starts with 20BB and accelerate at a rate of "uh...every 2 people out we double" we'll ignore, they won't listen to my suggested improvements [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

Aight forget my home game, let's take this in the context of our forum game when there are 2/3 tables with 5-7 players each. What hands should I be adding UTG? AJ seems to be clear, what about AT/A9s (I assume we don't go lower). KQ, KJ, QJ, JT? What about when it's folded to me on the button (rare occurence)? Is it ok to speculate with 89s/78s? Do you still play mid-low pairs for set value 7-handed, or is that more specific to Party's accelerated blinds. Hmmm...this is sounding too general. My bad, any reading material you all could direct me towards? Or do you have some specific recomendations?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Short-Handed

For shorthand, a good approximation is to think of it as full ring but with the first X people folding. What hands would you open with in MP if the first three people folded to you?

What hands would you open with on the CO if the first 7 people folded?

The HUSH forum has a lot of good stuff about preflop standards, though its mostly for limit (the hands aren't a bad approximation though).