Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Weak lo play?

ok so Im a regular at the omaha hi tables but I decided to try some hi/lo. well actually I didnīt notice it was a hi/lo table until a couple of hands into the session. anyways, I built up a stack when it was maybe 5handed and then this hand came along as the table has filled up. After making the nut low on the river, Foe1 makes a tricky small bet. I kind of felt it was a bit low for my nice low but since I had two people after me to act, possibly facing half a lo I decided to just call. I still felt I didnt maximize my potential in this hand..

Comments on all streets welcome!

Omaha Hi/Low $1-$1 PL (real money),

Seat 2: foe1 ($59.60 in chips)
Seat 3: --Oo--- ($20 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero ($210.60 in chips)
Seat 5: foe2 ($76.45 in chips)
Seat 6: --Oo--- ($96 in chips)
Seat 8: x...x ($141.40 in chips)
Seat 9: foe3 ($43 in chips)
Seat 10: x...x ($127 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
foe1 posts blind ($1).

Dealt to Hero: [ 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]

PRE-FLOP
--Oo-- folds,
Hero bets $3,
foe2 calls $3,
--Oo-- calls $3,
x...x calls $3,
foe3 calls $3,
x...x folds,
foe1 calls $2.

FLOP [board cards Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
foe1 checks,
Hero checks,
foe2 bets $3,
--Oo--- folds,
x...x folds,
foe3 calls $3,
foe1 calls $3,
Hero calls $3.

TURN [board cards Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
foe1 checks,
Hero checks,
foe2 checks,
foe3 checks.

RIVER [board cards Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
foe1 bets $6,
Hero calls $6,
foe2 calls $6,
foe3 calls $6.

Final pot $52
Old 09-12-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Weak lo play?

Bet the full size of the pot on the flop. Why did you raise pre-flop if you aren't going to take advantage of the extra money in the pot?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] The foes in this hand are all short stacked, and you can now get them to commit most of their stack when you almost surely have a solid equity edge.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:25 PM

You had the nut flush draw, nut low draw, and a straight draw going into the turn. I'm no expert, but I think you should have bet the flop. If someone had a low set, 2 pair, or a weak A2, you could have narrowed the field down right there. You have to bet your draws in Hi/Lo. You may have allowed someone with pocket 6's or a low straight to win the high pot on the river. Just my opinion.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:27 PM

The fact that you flop nut low draw, nut flush draw and a gutshot straight draw and click the check button on the flop, shows how bad a player you are. Until you can stop this huge leak in your game, it's pretty pointless trying to tell you about the other plays you made.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:35 PM

..now that does not sound like "friendly" constructive criticism.

But yes, you gave away free cards when a pot-sized bet should have narrowed the field down.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
..now that does not sound like "friendly" constructive criticism.

But yes, you gave away free cards when a pot-sized bet should have narrowed the field down.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not betting to narrow down the field. Jesus on a Unicycle. You're betting because by the river, percentage wise you will have the best hand, and a bet on the flop will earn you money. You really couldn't care less how many people call the bet. Also you really don't care whether everyone calls or folds, you win money either way.

Please stop reading sites like o8poker where gergery says "you bet to thin the field". This is completely the wrong approach to why you are betting. Thinking this way will cost you money.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:10 PM

Of course you don't mind building the pot, but it also sucks when someone with Q-6-xx takes the high pot. I guess a big semi-bluff on the turn or river should cure that problem though.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course you don't mind building the pot, but it also sucks when someone with Q-6-xx takes the high pot. I guess a big semi-bluff on the turn or river should cure that problem though.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no it doesn't suck. It's why you win. You have a strong 2 way hand, they have a one way hand, plus there will be other players along for the ride. If a guy shows Q6xx for the high half at the showdown, they get added to the buddy list.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:23 PM

Actually, checking the flop seems right to me. Raising when it gets back around is essential, though.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, checking the flop seems right to me. Raising when it gets back around is essential, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the flop is terrible. You don't have to bet the pot, but you definately have to bet. A bet of either a 5th to a 3rd of a pot, or the whole pot is perfectly fine. Making a small bet has the added chance of having someone raise you, so you can pot them back and put a ton of pressure on them to fold.