Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: A question about staking...

Forgive me if your friend reads this...but you are getting a sweet deal. I have never been staked but I haven't heard of anyone with a deal that good.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am being staked right now by a friend that is a poster on 2+2.

He gets 25% of my winnings and takes 100% of any loss. I keep all bonuses and rakeback (I play almost entirely online). I pay him his portion of my winnings every two weeks and either of us can end the deal whenever we want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you run good thats an absolutely amazing deal. I have never heard of anything even remotely close to that. I have staked 2 different guys in the past both were I take 100% of the loss and get the rakebacks, and he got 35% of the win. Which I believe is MUCH more standard.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:45 PM

I know its a very good deal for me.

I should mention that the reason for the stake was just so that I could play a bigger game, not because I had no bankroll left. So me taking a deal under the conditions you mentioned wouldn't make any sense for me since I could make more playing in a smaller game that I could afford on my bankroll.

Nevertheless the deal is great and I am lucky that he offered to do it.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:59 PM

at that rate you should be able to get just about anyone you want to play for you, especially if you are willing to put them into higher stakes than they can afford.

a no brainer deal for the player.

matt
Old 01-23-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at that rate you should be able to get just about anyone you want to play for you, especially if you are willing to put them into higher stakes than they can afford.

matt

[/ QUOTE ]

This was obviously a favor from someone for whom the money involved wasn't a big deal, not a situation where the staker was trying to make the best investment possible with his money.

scrub
Old 01-23-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

EDIT: Yes to scrub's post too.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:23 AM

I should mention that the reason for the stake was just so that I could play a bigger game

That's what I'm trying to do. If he's interested in staking anyone else, I'd be interested. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2005, 01:57 AM

I don't want to put a lot of words in his mouth...but he wasn't really looking for anyone to stake. A situation came up where I was talking to him about playing a bigger game because someone else was possibly going to stake me. Then he said that if I ended up not taking the deal that he would be interested.

I don't know if he's looking for anyone else. Sorry.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:06 AM

Forgive me if your friend reads this...but you are getting a sweet deal. I have never been staked but I haven't heard of anyone with a deal that good.

Like someone said, staking is for friends. Other than that, it's not usually going to be a very good idea. And when I'm staking a friend, I'm not out to profit at their expense, I'm looking to help them out and be a good friend. Most of the percentages I'm reading about in here are just ridiculous for the player. They're the ones putting in the hours and doing all the actual labor; I'm just supplying them. The staking deals I give out to "friends" are pretty close to identical to what Evan's getting. In fact, it's just about exactly the same as a stake with a respected 2+2'er that we just ended that I'm pretty sure I know who his staker is. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But the point is, if I'm staking a friend, I'm about being a friend first and a "businessman" last. That last stake with Evan's exact plan earned me a 115% RoI in 2 months. Sure it could've been a hell of a lot more if I wanted to take a big amount of the guy's earnings, but why would I? It makes it harder on the player and gives them a higher chance of not succeeding. My goal in staking friends is to help them out, not make it harder on them to put a couple extra bucks in my pocket.

Be a friend.

GoT
Old 01-23-2005, 02:08 AM

This was obviously a favor from someone for whom the money involved wasn't a big deal, not a situation where the staker was trying to make the best investment possible with his money.

Exactly, though even with 25% minus rakeback and bonuses, the staker is going to earn far more than he could elsewhere in the market.

GoT