Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Re: What\'s your least favorite city in America?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one said Washington, DC? Come on people, this place is more dangerous than Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is retarded and not even close to being true. Also, as others have mentioned, DC is one of the greatest cities in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two D.C.'s. One is wonderful and entirely safe, the other, well, not so much.

Stay in the downtown, governmental/tourist area and you'll be fine. Despite being a subway, the Metro is about as safe a method of travel as there is.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not at all shocking to see that not one person has had anything bad to say about Minnesota cities.

I hate LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the F would ever go to Minnesota?

[/ QUOTE ]

Last December, my wife and I closed our practices (she's a divorce lawyer, I'm a psychologist), sold our house and offices, and moved our family to Minnesota. Good schools, good recreational areas, and nice folk. It is truly a wonderful place to live. Of course, it does get a mite nippy from time to time, but other than that...
Old 11-16-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
El Paso, Texas is pretty horrendous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but at least you can look across the river and thank God you're not in Juarez.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: If you don\'t know, you don\'t know

[ QUOTE ]

I guess I assumed that it was one of those cities where English speakers are in the minority.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember to bring your passport when you visit, and convert your dollars to pesos. Yes, caucasians are in the minority here, but we have a good mix of all cultures (and cuisines.) Spanish and Native American are the predominant cultures. I wish I spoke Spanish. The only Spanish I know is "tequila anejo" and "relleno." Don't worry, almost all people speak English around here. Even if someone doesn't, they'll probably have someone else with them who speaks both.

Albuquerque, where the towels are oh so fluffy! Thanks, Weird Al!

Where are you from? If you're serious, send me a PM and we'll keep talking. I'd be happy to give you a native's perspective.

I've never been to Boston, but I can imagine how much it sucks.

ScottieK
Old 11-16-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Spokane?

I liked Spokane when I was there for about two weeks. Checking out the Gonzaga chicks was fun, and they have a real river! So what's wrong with it?

ScottieK
Old 11-16-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I moved out to Rochester a year ago. It's far from great, but it ain't all that bad. There are a couple of rough neighborhoods, but they don't extend all that far. Most of the places I go are fairly safe to walk around at night. The winters haven't been half as bad as Buffalo. Buffalo has two lakes dumping snow on them. Rochester only has one.

[/ QUOTE ]

As provided by NOAA

Rochester average annual snowfall: 92.3
Buffalo average annual snowfall: 93.6

Man that second lake really dumps an extra 1.3 inches on Buffalo... glad you're safe in Rochester haha [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Very, very rarely does Buffalo get lake effect snow from Lake Ontario... weather patterns don't often bring storms south west.

The real bitch of the whole thing is that while Buffalo has the "blizzard capital" reputation, Syracuse averages 115.6 inches each year! That being said, I got out of Buffalo as soon as possible. I love the people back there, but the city does have a lot to be desired.

And it wasn't just Super Bowl XXV that depressed us. It was Super Bowl XXVI, Super Bowl XXVII, Super Bowl XXVIII, no goal, and forward lateral all contributing!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:28 AM

Hoboken
Old 11-16-2005, 12:00 PM

Wow, lots of Upstate New Yorkers. I lived in Syracuse & Rochester for a while - they're actually pretty nice places to live I think, other than there being no jobs.

I moved to Philly 3 years ago and can't really argue with anything that's been said. The mayor is corrupt, the city does smell, the unions suck, and the people overall are questionable. Also, you would think it was a southern city the way they react to winters. If theres 1/2 inch of snow everything shuts down, where as 6 everybody gets on with their lives after a 6 foot storm in Syracuse. Also, public transporation doesn't run late, so they're basically begging people from the burbs to drink & drive. Also, I-76 has to be the worst highway ever, east of LA anyway.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:04 PM

Why were you in Cleveland, TN? You go to Lee?

Yes, that place is terrible.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:33 PM

I can't understand how so many of you can list NYC as your least favorite city. C'mon, give me an f'in break, I just don't buy that NYC is the place that comes to mind as THE WORST???

Are you telling me you would rather spend more time in Buffalo, Detroit, Kansas City, or Newark than NYC? That's baloney.

I lived in Manhattan (5 years), Brooklyn (2 years), and Queens (3 years). I can tell you from experience that this not an easy place to live. The bull that you have to put up with here is amazing---high taxes, high prices, abnoxious people, disgusting commuting, back-biting corporate dickheads, and some women that are more heartless than men. But even with that said, the city is STILL an amazing place.

Reasons to like NYC:
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] The tastiest and most diverse selection of food anywhere on the planet. (Just try to find another city that offers exceptional pizza, sushi, and steaks, all within a block of each other)
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] The hot women here are REALLY HOT. Go to any halfway decent bar on a thursday-Saturday night and you are guaranteed to find women who will leave you speachless.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] The entertainment is endless. (OK, so your not into Broadway, what about sports---yankees, knicks, rangers? Sports not your thing either? How about top-notch concerts or nightclubs? Don't like music? How about movies; we have a theater on every block. Still nothing? How about boating? You can sail up the hudson, and go swimming or fishing off your boat---yes it is clean enough, done it myself. Nope? Well then the problem is you.)
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] You can make mad money here. (If you have an above average IQ and 3 times the amount of "normal" ambition, this town will reward you.)

The fact that NYC is on your WORST list shows a lack of imagination, or a self-image problem.