Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Ask the Dental student....Q\'s, fears, concerns, hopefully answered

[ QUOTE ]
Great idea for a thread.

I got a couple of crowns in. Does the metal at the base of the crown (where it attaches the tooth base) leach at all? Maybe noone knows cos maybe that has not been studied. ie, does this metal get in your system through slow long term leaching of the metals used?

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been studied ad nauseum, there were a series of what have been termed the "amalgam wars", basically the current opinion based on numerous studies is that the mercury leaking from an amalgam would be the only really dangerous thing from the restorations and that it is very minor.

-JP
Old 10-14-2005, 07:14 AM

I want to sign up for these amalgam wars, but can't decide which side. What are the relative good and bad points about each side?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:14 AM

Maybe I should have written a disclaimer at the top of this...I am not liscenced to practice dentistry so any advice i give you is unqualified.

-JP
Old 10-14-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most people have no idea how hard dental school is (godawful 4 yrs, id give anything to have it as easy as my med student roommate right now)

[/ QUOTE ]

this made me laugh

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too were you serious about this?

If so perhaps you're roommate is just a crappy med student.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you dont know anyone in dental school. I understand he works but him and his friends are drinking in my living room right now, they havent been to class all week, all of them are A students and I have been in the lab all night after getting off class and have to be at class at 8 tomorrow for 8 hrs of lecture. Ive had 2 tests this week, 3 last week, and i have 3 next week. They have had 1 test in the last 3 weeks and it has covered the same stuff that was on my tests around this time last year (when I was a first year). Also, talking to some of the upper class med students, it doesnt get harder. Easier if anything.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll describe medical school and leave it to you to make a comparison since i've never been to dental school:

1st yr - bust your ass, taking at least double the class workload you were used to seeing in college. Very basic science oriented, common question asked is: "what the hell does this [censored] have to do with being a doctor?"

2nd yr - bust your ass but at least the material is more clinically relevant and ultimately becomes your core fund of knowledge to which you endlessly refer during your career as an MD. It helps to pay attention to what you are reading and being lectured about, else you will look like a fool in the future.

Between 2nd and 3rd yr is time to study for the boards. A bitch of an exam, learn to stay away from a window because else you'll never get any studying done.

3rd yr - this year is make or break, you are on the wards, kissing ass without making it look so. This is the hardest year in medical school in many ways. You probably work close to 60-80 hrs weekly on the wards depending on if you take overnight call with the residents and what clinical rotation you are undertaking at the time (e.g., surgery). When not in the hospital, you need to read about the patients you are following and try to impress your superiors (to ultimately obtain crucial letters of recommendation). At the end of each rotation, there is usually a written exam. The grades obtained on each rotation this year is often cited as the most important factor to getting into a good residency.

4th yr - a year to explore other areas of medicine based on your interests. This year is cush. People by now have largely figured out where they're going after graduation.

I thought med school was tough but it depends on where you are along the above path.

dizong

[/ QUOTE ]

You just verified to me that Med school is in fact easier and that my above statement that most people "have no idea how hard dental school is" was correct. On a side note, we dont have to do your shitty ass residency and while youre still in it, well be f'n your wife on a pile of money.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i guess i didn't expect that retort... Both self-assured enough to offer unsolicited professional advice (as a student) on a public forum yet so defensive when all I did was expand on a point you introduced earlier.
Sorry if I offended you, I'll leave you alone. enjoy your life bro

dizong

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies, didnt mean to be a dick. Ill give you a serious reply late.r But im running late for class.

-JP
Old 10-14-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Ask the Dental student....Q\'s, fears, concerns, hopefully answered.

What is the best toothbrush to use? Are the newer ones really that much better? Mouthwash?
I saw a commercial for a pre-brush fizzy mouthwash that looked neat. Will it help?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Ask the Dental student....Q\'s, fears, concerns, hopefully answered.

bump because I am really curious here...
Old 10-14-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the best toothbrush to use? Are the newer ones really that much better? Mouthwash?
I saw a commercial for a pre-brush fizzy mouthwash that looked neat. Will it help?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what i have gathered in my two yrs:

The new electronic toothbrushes have lots of advantages over mechanical brushing...although it has not been scientifically proven to be any better. The main advantage is they are just easier to get better results with, not that they necessarily clean better (ie they fix operator errors). A skilled brusher w/ a reg toothbrush can do just fine assuming they spend the correct amount of time/effort. In theory, the extra vibrations should jar the bacterial plaques loose from Sub gingival areas better. I dont use one but I have several sitting around collecting dust. Oral B and Soniccare...not that big difference, i think one spins (oral b), and one vibrates (soniccare). Or maybe that distinction no longer exists...i think theres a new one on the market thats supposedly "revolutionary" in some way, at least according to the marketing people.

Mouthwashes are not necessarily as effective as an antibacterial product as advertised but i love using mine just because of the feel and bad breath associated help. The new crest alcohol free stuff is all over our school now and is what ive been using. Its much better than the old stuff although some people in my class claim it can temporarily mess up your taste buds (i thought all mouth washes do this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

-JP
Old 10-14-2005, 04:55 PM

Any idea why the last two times I have been to the dentist, approx 5 minutes after the needle for freezing I begin to feel very light headed, get the sweats and feel like I'm about to throw up and faint? I used the excuse that I need to use the bathroom, splashed cold water on my face, and sat there for about 3-4 minutes while these feelings passed. Then I was fine. This never used to happened before, and I have no fear of needles.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any idea why the last two times I have been to the dentist, approx 5 minutes after the needle for freezing I begin to feel very light headed, get the sweats and feel like I'm about to throw up and faint? I used the excuse that I need to use the bathroom, splashed cold water on my face, and sat there for about 3-4 minutes while these feelings passed. Then I was fine. This never used to happened before, and I have no fear of needles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you lie to your dentist and neglect to tell him??? I could be way off but its probably some form of allergic reaction to the epinephrine solution in the anesthetic, not all that uncommon. Different people have varying reactions...some serious, some not so serious. Its important for your dentist to know about this in case he opts to give you more during the course of longer procedures. It could be something else although i dont really know what (you said its not anxiety, do you have low BP or any other problems?).

-JP
Old 10-14-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great idea for a thread.

I got a couple of crowns in. Does the metal at the base of the crown (where it attaches the tooth base) leach at all? Maybe noone knows cos maybe that has not been studied. ie, does this metal get in your system through slow long term leaching of the metals used?

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been studied ad nauseum, there were a series of what have been termed the "amalgam wars", basically the current opinion based on numerous studies is that the mercury leaking from an amalgam would be the only really dangerous thing from the restorations and that it is very minor.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

I realized i didnt exactly answer your q. The gold in gold crowns or the the alloy used in pfm crowns are not harmful to you.

-JP