Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Hi or Hi-Low?

Hi,
I just want to start playing Stud7. But which game should I learn and play, Stud7 Hi or Hi-Low? Which is more easier to beat (at Stars, low limit games)? Which is more interesting (Omaha Hi-Low for exaple is sooo boring)? Which is more skillful? What are fundamental defferences in this games?
Thanks for comments
Old 07-05-2005, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Hi or Hi-Low?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,
I just want to start playing Stud7. But which game should I learn and play, Stud7 Hi or Hi-Low? Which is more easier to beat (at Stars, low limit games)? Which is more interesting (Omaha Hi-Low for exaple is sooo boring)? Which is more skillful? What are fundamental defferences in this games?
Thanks for comments

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Lo doesn't interest you then 7 Stud Hi-Lo probably isn't the game for you.

I play both (not half as good as the regulars of this forum) and while I enjoy Hi-Lo (aka 8ob), plain 'ol 7 Stud high is the game I truly love.

Cheers,
SDM
Old 07-05-2005, 07:30 AM

As for which you should learn, I suppose it depends on your goals. I've been playing Stud8 a lot more recently, because it seems to offer a better win rate for me at lower limits. So in my opinion, Stud8 is easier to beat at those limits. However, if you think Omaha Hi-Low is boring, I suspect you'll find Stud8 to be equally boring, since both require patience in waiting for good starting hands.

If you have this patience, playing only good hands that can win both ways, Stud8 can almost be played automatically at the lower limit tables. Consequently, I consider low-limit Stud8 to be more a game of patience than of skill, when compared to its high only variant.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for which you should learn, I suppose it depends on your goals. I've been playing Stud8 a lot more recently, because it seems to offer a better win rate for me at lower limits. So in my opinion, Stud8 is easier to beat at those limits. However, if you think Omaha Hi-Low is boring, I suspect you'll find Stud8 to be equally boring, since both require patience in waiting for good starting hands.

If you have this patience, playing only good hands that can win both ways, Stud8 can almost be played automatically at the lower limit tables. Consequently, I consider low-limit Stud8 to be more a game of patience than of skill, when compared to its high only variant.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like stud ring games but stud8 tournies are better.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any particular reasoning behind this?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any particular reasoning behind this?

[/ QUOTE ]

stud tournaments are just a lot more boring to sit through in my mind I guess. There are more idiots in the stud8 ones too it seems. It depends on what you like I guess. Stud tournaments tend to go 1. high card raises and 2. whole table folds, at least on stars, right from level 1. It just is not a lot of fun.

The stud8 tournaments always have people chasing 8 lows after they brick 4th. makes me feel all fuzzy inside taking their stacks.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:05 PM

i think stud hi-lo-split 8-or-better is the greatest of all poker games. it rewards a different skill set than what is required for limit hold'em or straight stud (2 games that i feel are quite similar). i think omaha hi-lo-split is pretty boring as well, even if you are playing loose and not just "nut peddling" or whatever the omaholics call it. i don't find omaha/8 and stud/8 to be very similar at all. i also hate razz, which has some similarities with stud/8 (i.e., it has all the negative elements without any of the positive ones). really, the game of stud/8 is unique and wonderful and i highly recommend it if your personality is such that you are a complete and total masochist.

mike
Old 07-05-2005, 05:24 PM

I'm the same way. I enjoy playing a lot of games. Stud 8 I think is my favorite though. Nothing is better to me than to jam a pot 5 way on all rounds only to hit your perfect card on the river and end up scooping the whole thing. I have jsut recently started playing a lot of 7stud Hi though and it is also a fun game, just it has different aspects to it than 8/B, not to mention 8/B is usually a little easier on the BR although it can be frustrating when you play for hours and don't make any money because you split every pot you won.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:53 PM

It all depends on what your objectives are. I personally enjoy high-only stud more, but stud/8 is where I make most of my money. While I haven't been playing much at all lately, my local room occasionally has $30/60 stud/8, but hasn't had a stud game over $6/12 in almost two years.

I've played some low-limit on-line, and I have found that the high-only stud games on Stars are easier to beat than the stud/8 games. I think high-only is my strongest game, and the rake is more of a factor in low-limit games there than it is in my local $30/60.

I think that high-only stud requires more skill than any other limit poker game, and one could make a reasonable case that it requires more skill than big-bet games, but I don't care to get into that right now. A skillful stud/8 player can make more money in the right game, however, because many people play this game very badly.

I find Omaha/8 painfully boring as well. I enjoy stud, stud/8, NLHE, Limit HE, draw lowball, pineapple, etc., but Omaha/8 bores me to tears. Sitting around waiting for the nuts just isn't an enjoyable way to spend an evening. Stud and stud/8 aren't like that.

There's no compelling reason you can't play both. You can get 7CS4AP and HLSP4AP, play a little of both, and see if you have a preference. If you have S/S and SS2, you can read the corresponding sections. Or you can just get in there and gamble. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 10:21 PM

OK guys thanks a lot for all you responses. And here is my view of this point.
Maybe the important argument to play Stut/8 is to make money cause of bad opponents skill. But I really think people on Stars play Stud Hi much loser and softer (at low limit at all). BTW there is more tables with Stud Hi at Party (but I dont like this anormous antes/rake), which are full of idiots.
So maybe I'm going to try play cash Stud Hi at Stars and SNGs Stud8 at Party...