Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 08:47 AM

Default shorthanded no limit preflop play

I just started playing shorthanded after playing about 100k hands at full table 25NL-PL. My VPIP was about 18%-20% there and I am up 5BB/100. At 6-max I do not really know which hands to play and what VPIP is optimal. And more important: which hands to raise with and which hands to call a raise with...
Any advice is welcome!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: shorthanded no limit preflop play

I can tell you how I do it, and i'm at 19/BB 100, but i'm sure part of it is that i'm running good.

I am around 28/15 for VPIP/PFR. I play some 5/10 6 max as well and I basically moved my starting hand preflop behavior over. From what i've seen, there are a lot of people that don't raise much, lots and lots of limpers, so if someone raises, that generally means a really good hand...with the exceptions of the maniacs. I don't raise marginal holdings unless i'm in position, but from late position i'll occasionally throw in raises with suited connectors to get action on my bigger hands. I will call raises from people that overplay hands using the 5/10 rule, with small pairs and sc's, however, if the flop doesn't kick me in the teeth, i'm out. I play really tightly but agressively post flop and the donks don't seem to notice that i am not in there mixing it up with bad hands.

As for raising, position is super important, but i'd say any ace with a 10 kicker or better is worth a raise, 9+10s, 99+, Suited aces, KQ+, J10s (although you have to be careful with these). I loosen up from late position and will occasionally throw a raise in with 67s or 56s, or even 22 or something if there are no limpers. Also some of the raising hands mentioned above (the weaker ones) I might limp with utg especiall in a loose game where my raise is not going to drive out very many people.

I'd be curious as to what the other folks have to say about it.