Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Math Classes

If you get the college credits from your AP classes if you pass out of Calc then I say skip it. If you aren't losing any units then I say just take the calc again, you'll never have to go to class, it will be an easy A, and you won't end up taking some BS class like Dinosaurs to fill units. I tested into Spanish Composition at my school, and afterwards I realized I let 15 easy units go by doing well on the test.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:23 PM

I had the same major at the University of Wisconsin. I also had the option of testing out of calc. I took the test and it ultimately allowed me to graduate in 4 years (rather than 4 1/2).

My advice = take the test, avoid the pledge.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:10 PM

Pledging a fraternity: the fast track to grad school!
Old 06-07-2005, 03:10 PM

I managed to get a 5 on my AP Calc test and tested out of Calc I and II. Never once did I regret this. Easy decision.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:23 PM

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. If this is your first year in school and you're gonna have a heavy load, you might want to take Calc II and "ease" your way into college. Most people feel overwhelmed by college and their new lives. Especially if your scholarship depends on your grades, some "insurance" is good until you get used to the college workload.

Just my $.02
Old 06-07-2005, 03:43 PM

Not a bad idea to maybe take Calc II again. There will be a lot of stuff going on your first semester.

I would ask someone at wherever you go for interns and ask them whether having LA or a high GPA would get you the better internships.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:09 PM

if you really feel like taking calc again, take a real analysis course and at least learn something; smarter minds than you or i have programmed this wonderful thing called mathematica to do all the boring calc 1/2 stuff for you.

i would suggest skipping to linear algebra.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. If this is your first year in school and you're gonna have a heavy load, you might want to take Calc II and "ease" your way into college. Most people feel overwhelmed by college and their new lives. Especially if your scholarship depends on your grades, some "insurance" is good until you get used to the college workload.

Just my $.02

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a wuss.. Just take it on and deal with it. Life's not supposed to be easy. You gotta work hard at some things ya know?

Blackjack
Old 06-07-2005, 04:21 PM

just to present a counterpoint, i was one of those who took the easy A, and i now have a very solid understanding of calculus
Old 06-07-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
will taking Linear Algebra right away help me get summer internships, into better graduate schools, or a better job? Also, do you think taking Linear Algebra would help me get better recommendations from the math department?

[/ QUOTE ]

it will make as close to zero difference as possible, though being a semester ahead may make it easier for you to take the hard classes later on that WILL help...