Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Summer Job

I just finished high school and this summer I'm going to need money to pay for car insurance, cell phone bill, spending money, etc.... My parents are still paying for meals and stuff, so I don't really need that much money. I'm pretty confident that I have the ability to make enough to get by this summer by playing poker and if I hit a run of bad cards, I have money saved up that I can use to cover my ass. My main question is, is it going to be a huge setback if I don't get a real job this summer when it comes time to apply for summer internships in college? Don't worry about the money when you answer this, or the fact that I might not like poker as a job rather than recreation; this does not concern me. Will the lack of a job before college hurt me on my applications for internships in college?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Summer Job

Nobody cares if you waited tables or washed cars when you were straight out of HS. When you are in college, just make sure to join some sort of organization dealing with the field you want to intern in, like undergrad econimcs society or political science student organization or something.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:35 PM

if you dont care about money, then lack of job will definitely hurt. or, at least putting on your application that you worked a job couldnt hurt. if money doesnt matter then i think you would be better off volunteering for community service than working at a burger king register for 7.15/hr. better still, would probably be to go to a temp agency and get a quick job for the summer. i temped before and it was a fairly good experience. they will stick you in a business related job, pay you 10-15/hr and it will look good on your application.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:37 PM

I would assume that your GPA as a Frosh will be more important than working at a Starbucks. The reason to work over the summer is more for social interaction than anything else. I would not have passed up my summer job before college for the world because of this fact.

/bd
Old 05-22-2005, 08:00 PM

I seriously doubt that didn't get some shitty job before you went to college will hurt you. Just do community service during the day occassionally and if potential employers ask tell them you did community service.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:41 AM

I think that you should definitely get some sort of job for your summer, even if it is part time. You can still have plenty of time to play poker if you are working part time, and also you are going to spend a lot of money at college most likely and any extra cash is nice. Not to mention it will give you some structure, discipline and a little taste of the real world.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:33 AM

No. I have the same sitaution.

I'll be going to UGA in the fall.

People hiring out internships will actually be MORE impressed that you're "entrepreneuring" in the summer before college. That's how I approach it.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:58 AM

no. just find a professor you enjoy learning from and grab him as a mentor. if hes a good professor he should give you advice and maybe a few contacts at local firms.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Flipping Burgers is Dumb

Flipping burgers or some [censored] is a waste of time. We're not talking about giving up some super job right. Poker is really the way to go here.

No one is going to care about whatever [censored] job you took. In fact if you work at a really high class comapny they all come from rich families anyway and will never have worked a job like that ever.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:13 PM

Find a job with some chicks to hit on. Don't waste a prime summer inside playing cards.