Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Does ICM take in FE at all?

Sry this is such a noob question.

Does ICM take in the FE results for whatever decision you choose? If no, then wouldnt it be correct in alot of situations to call instead of fold when ICM says 0 EV or near zero EV, because you break even chip-wise but lose Folding Equity.

Brian
Old 12-19-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Does ICM take in FE at all?

ICM is just a chip model that calculates (using many assumptions) a chip stack's overall equity based on tournament payout structure.

SNGPT helps one calculate what this may entail in a practical sense when looking at STT situations. Based on your opponents' calling ranges, SNGPT calculations *do* take into account FE.

ICM never says 'near zero EV or zero EV' unless the stack is zero...then you have exactly zero EV (unless you're already ITM).

Yugoslav
Old 12-19-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ICM is just a chip model that calculates (using many assumptions) a chip stack's overall equity based on tournament payout structure.

[/ QUOTE ]
I posted soething similar a few days ago -- there seems to be a lot of confusion, or rather just an assuption that ICM is the whole process by which we take into account calling and pushing ranges, actions, hand equity, etc. Determining equity in the prize pool, based upon chip counts, by some method (most commonly ICM) is an important step in the process.

I think it would be useful to coin a name for the whole process. If I were really clever, I'd be proposing one, but well...
Old 12-19-2005, 09:29 PM

Eastbaying. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 10:42 PM

zabt,

Well ppl are dumb and misinformed.

I have certainly misspoken about it but the confusion was only semantical and not fundamental. But people really ought to take the time to learn about what they're using to study the game...the idea of ICM at its heart is very simple.

Yugoslav
Old 12-19-2005, 11:23 PM

Sorry to kind of highjack this post, but do you guys actually use SNGPT to calculate ICM during the course of a tournament? When I am 8 tabling I don't see how I would have the time to plug all the info into the program to give me the info I need. Do you guys do this or do you play mostly on intuition and use SNGPT in tough situtions?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:53 PM

I use it while I'm 8-tabling. I have SNGPT set up to use voice input. Pretty easy to do with some light scripting knowledge and some 3rd party voice recognition software.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to kind of highjack this post, but do you guys actually use SNGPT to calculate ICM during the course of a tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you were going to use it during a tournament, why would you stop at ICM calculations? I'd use it to figure out pushing and calling ranges, too.

(No, I don't use it during a tournament.)
Old 12-20-2005, 12:14 AM

SNGPT is not meant for use while playing....that's likely against the party T&Cs anyway.

It's a study tool...

Yugoslav
Old 12-20-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SNGPT is not meant for use while playing....that's likely against the party T&Cs anyway.

It's a study tool...

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

I was joking about using it while mtabling. You were supposed to ask, "How the hell do you use SNGPT with voice activation while mtabling??"