Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 03:19 PM

Default I\'ts been bothering me

I was playing 10-20 blind nlhe at the commerce, sometime at the end of February right after the big tournament, when the following hand came up between myself and an east coast pro (Paul Wolfe? Wolfe something?) anyway . . .

I had about $4,000 and he had me covered and the two of us were among the three biggest stacks at the table. He raised to $80 two off the button while I was in the small blind and I called with the 10c9c. BB folded and we took the flop heads up.

8 Q J came the flop! Two diamonds, no clubs

I checked, he bet $120 and I raised $300. He thought a long time and called the $300. The turn was a blank--like th deuce of blue or something, and I bet $600. Which he thought a long time about and called. At that point, should I have bet more? There was $910 in the pot, and our money was deep, so in position, a call with the diamond draw wouldn't be so terrible, right? Getting immediate 2.5 to one odds, plus the rest of my stack, potentially, another $3,000 or so, gives him 8 to one or better.

The river paired the Q, I checked, he bet $1800.

What should I do here?

It's been bothering me.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: I\'ts been bothering me

From his point of view you were protecting a good made hand all along. When you river-check the Q its obvious to him that you expect him to check, after all betting here for him would be suicide without a good hand right? So his read of your hand, which previously was AA,KK,QQ,JJ,910,88 has now transformed to AA,KK,910s - all of which are scared of the Q. He heavily weights it to AA and KK, given a) the combinations and b) you called out of position heads up against a pro.

Furthermore, he considered for a long time on the flop AND turn, which suggests that his situation changed on the turn (after all what new is there to think about?) - which suggests that he has some part of a diamond draw that didnt make it. I think he has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q and is making a clever river bet - you may make a crying call with AA or KK, and even if you do have him beat with the straight, he does have a little folding equity.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:00 PM

Did you check that river with the intention of inducing a bet? I hope so. Nice work. Push.

Edit: btw I only play the 50NL online.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:02 PM

no.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What should I do here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call, even if the river helped him you're still winning a lot of the time.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:32 PM

Easy call....his A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is no good
Old 05-01-2005, 07:36 PM

pretty certain Paul doesn't make that bet with AQ. Nonetheless given the draw heavy board I think a call is in order and either expect to see a boat or a missed draw.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:12 PM

i played nl with paul for about 8 hours at the wsop last year. against paul i would call. he can be read for a boat though. also, my one concern would be if it's easy to read you for the nuts. in that setting paul would slowplay a set then bet hard on the river.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:25 PM

matt do you concur that AQ is out of his hand range given the river bet?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i played nl with paul for about 8 hours at the wsop last year. against paul i would call. he can be read for a boat though. also, my one concern would be if it's easy to read you for the nuts. in that setting paul would slowplay a set then bet hard on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he can resist getting it in on the turn if he's got JJ-QQ. Not raising with those hands would be wrong so often that it wouldn't make up for the times it was right. Those stacks are plenty deep, and an experienced player is going to be sure to get it all in with a hand that big, right?

QJ and 88 seem possible. Still, I don't think there's any other play here than check/call the river?