Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Where to get a good suit?

[ QUOTE ]
The correct answer is Hong Kong. Two tailored suits, I pick the material, for $850. Another $100 gets me tailored shirts with mongrammed cuffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're looking for cheap, I was in Beijing over the summer. Tailored suits for $70 and I'm pretty sure I was being ripped off. $7 for fake Armani dress shirts, cufflinks, whatever.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:44 PM

Macy's or the Men's Warehouse. Will you wear the suit besides the wedding, another wedding or a job interview, maybe? If it's your first suit, get one at Macy's on sale for about $250 plus alterations of about $40. No need to spend any more than that. You want a nice wool with fulling lining from the front pockets down the thigh. Navy blue, 2 or 3 button.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Men's Warehouse

You're gonna like they way you look.
I guarantee It.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. Their service is awesome and they have some very nice suits. Nordstrom? Give me a [censored]' break....

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, most of my recent suits have been from Nordstrom's. They have great suits and prices are good if you hit them during their sale.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The correct answer is Hong Kong. Two tailored suits, I pick the material, for $850. Another $100 gets me tailored shirts with mongrammed cuffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed he wouldn't have time to head to Hong Kong, but yes, all my friends who travel in Asia always come back w/ sweet hand-tailored suits and shirts from Hong Kong.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'll set my budget at $500. I'd prefer to get it here and not in Italy because I don't know how much time I'll have.

So, Men's Wearhouse is where I should start? I want it tailored. Do they have good shirts and ties too?

[/ QUOTE ]

For $500, I'll stick w/ my initial suggestion of Macy's. If it is a sale weekend, you'll find all sorts of good stuff in that range.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed he wouldn't have time to head to Hong Kong, but yes, all my friends who travel in Asia always come back w/ sweet hand-tailored suits and shirts from Hong Kong.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

There is a great shirtmaker in HK who will do mail order and provides extensive directions on taking measurements and will allow you to completely customize the shirt. Just about every dude I know that has ordered from them are extremely happy. Quality hand tailored shirts at an awesome price.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quality hand tailored shirts at an awesome price.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's an awsome price?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

There is a great shirtmaker in HK who will do mail order and provides extensive directions on taking measurements and will allow you to completely customize the shirt. Just about every dude I know that has ordered from them are extremely happy. Quality hand tailored shirts at an awesome price.

[/ QUOTE ]

This tailor works on the overseas orders at night. You are opening up pandora's box for all of us at andy. Waiting even longer in the future for my shirts would suck.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:39 PM

You should consider spending a little more and getting a quality suit. If you don't it will fall apart after a few dry cleanings. If you have time you can shop around and maybe find a bargain. There are several very good tailors in Chicago that you can visit.

I would try my hardest to get a suit in Italy. If you are going to be by a major city in Italy you literally have the some of the best options available in the world.

Spend the money and get a hand sewn canvas if nothing else.
Do not buy Boss or Armani. Boss has fused canvases and Armani is way overpriced for machine stitching and mostly modern cuts which means they will not be in style for 10-20 years if not sooner. Paying this kind of money for a suit you want it to be in style cause it better last this long.

I would go with dark brown shoes. It gives you more options and you will look silly in Italy wearing black.

Places to go in Chicago
Pucci on North Michigan Avenue
Mark Shale same street
Bigsby & Kruthers on North Clark Street

If you want to go to Italy let me know where you will be and I can point you in the right direction.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quality hand tailored shirts at an awesome price.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's an awsome price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually about 1/3 the price of a top quality, off the rack, handmade shirt from the UK or Italy.