Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-05-2005, 03:14 PM

Default How much edge does position give you?

Average player limps in MP. It folds to me in the CO or button with KJ. I raise this every time, even though i know KJ does not have positive equity against his range. I will also do it with worse hands sometimes. WHen someone limps, typically it is not a hand they want to showdown without improvement, so i think a big edge comes from having the iniative. Anyone thought on this?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: How much edge does position give you?

You are right.
-James
Old 10-05-2005, 03:20 PM

Did you pokerstove this? Why don't you think we have equity against his range? Seems like we're usually up against a small pocket pair or a suited connector type hand, many of which we have dominated.

[ QUOTE ]
WHen someone limps, typically it is not a hand they want to showdown without improvement, so i think a big edge comes from having the iniative.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really big part of it. Much of the profit raising here comes from all the flops that go check bet fold when you completely whiff.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:22 PM

Yeah i didn't pokerstove it, i was just estimating that it would be easy for someone to limp Ax or KQ, but our equity isn't horrible i'm guessing. What is the bottom range of hands you guys tend to raise the button with after an average limper?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:58 PM

I make this raise a lot to against an average limper from the CO and button. I think it's fine as long as your not constantly having to show it down.

but it also really depends on the limper too. Depending on how loose and weak they are, I would raise down to A8s and even QJo against a weak limper in MP.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Average player limps in MP. It folds to me in the CO or button with KJ. I raise this every time, even though i know KJ does not have positive equity against his range. I will also do it with worse hands sometimes. WHen someone limps, typically it is not a hand they want to showdown without improvement, so i think a big edge comes from having the iniative. Anyone thought on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is how you get to be 30/20 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 04:05 PM

I have been three-betting AJo alot recently against ok/not quite tight players raising from MP. I would have folded in the BB. Position and the lead is worth a ton.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:06 PM

Ah come on Darryn, i'm like 18/12 in full games [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm only nuts shorthanded. Seriously though, the main objective here is to get an idea of what people's raising standards are here, as its difficult to assign EV to your hand given people's wide limping ranges.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah come on Darryn, i'm like 18/12 in full games [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm only nuts shorthanded. Seriously though, the main objective here is to get an idea of what people's raising standards are here, as its difficult to assign EV to your hand given people's wide limping ranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well what do you define as an "average" player?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:13 PM

Lets say he's a typical 28/12 player who is little too loose and a little to passive. He doesnt make good folds, doesnt understand his hand values as well as he should etc...