Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Hand vs. Joe Cassidy

5 handed 200 400 game at the Borgata.
The two times it's been folded to Joe in the SB he's raised and I've called in the BB and folded to his flop bet.
The third time he open limps, I check with 89o in the BB.
Flop is K J T rainbow. He checks I bet he raises I call.
Turn is Ko he checks I bet he raises I...?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Hand vs. Joe Cassidy

fold he has a big hand. he probably limps with very good hands there and raises medicore ones. i had JJ one time and he cold called my raise with A2o and bet and raised the whole way with it and caught an A on the river. seeing as ill probably never play 2-4 again that is my joe cassidy story. someone else told me he's the greatest limit hold em player ever.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:35 PM

I agree 100% with this post.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:44 PM

i dont like your flop bet here. dont like the turn bet either... seems like you are just walking face first into these checkraises.
you check your option, and he didnt didnt bet when it came KJT. hmmm. most ppl try to pick it up there, but ive never played w/ him, so i dont now... now he checks turn, most ppl wil bet there... hmm.
this turn checkraise with the lead is v v often a bluff/semibluff, but here i just dont see it.
you cant even beat Qhigh if thats what he has, so youre getting a worse price to stay involved since you are gonna have to risk more to win if hes bluffing and you are gonna lose at least three bets when he is full and you get there on the end, and might only win one (or none) when YHIG.
looks like a fold to me, but threebetting and following through on the end is the second best option i suppose.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:24 AM

Your turn bet here is really quite bad. The guy was basically wearing a hat that said "checkraisin" on it. I guess it is possible he is just representing a huge hand, but making an expensive play like this with no real history between you two seems unlikely.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:06 AM

When he checks the turn you don't think a significant portion of the time he will have a very weak hand that he is now giving up on since he fears I'm calling down with a made hand or will play back at him after calling the flop?

I'm not too concerned with my flop or turn bet. This is a situation where I'm betting or checking a certain percentage of the time. I don't have an exact breakdown but I'm not doing one or the other everytime. This time I decided to play it the way I did and I think it's more than reasonable some of the time.

What would be your play after being checkraised on the turn?

Also, I don't agree with the earlier posters who claim I should fold the turn. I will have 8 outs here too often, not to mention the possibility of bluffing the turn or river.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you cant even beat Qhigh if thats what he has

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this relevant?

[ QUOTE ]
so youre getting a worse price to stay involved since you are gonna have to risk more to win if hes bluffing and you are gonna lose at least three bets when he is full and you get there on the end, and might only win one (or none) when YHIG

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a good point about risking more to bluff him. However, the business about him being full and losing bets when I get there is very insignificant since it relies both on him having a fullhouse (an extremely unlikely proposition) and me getting there on the end both occuring.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:47 AM

I believe hes good enough to mix up his play. So while he will limp sometimes with big hands, it's more like limp 20% raise 80%. A hand like KJ or QT he will raise more than that I think since there isn't nearly as much benefit to slowplaying it. He's also going limp sometimes with pretty bad hands like mine and worse since folding would still be giving up too much and raising them everytime would be an easily exploitable strategy.
Taking this into account I don't see how he could have a fullhouse or str8 often enough to warrant me folding the turn.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:10 AM

I think when Joe Cassidy checkraises you headsup in a shorthanded holdem game you should fold 100% of the time because he clearly has at least quads if not better. Pesronally I don't event play unless the cards add up to 18 or higher.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:20 AM

I def. take the free turn card like everyone said. Anyone else besides me that likes to raise pre flop to take control of the hand?