Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 11-30-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: dumb people and their dumb pocket pairs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol this thread is sorta funny. mostly cuz some ppl are taking it seriously. kinda hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

well hey, i am glad you think it is funny...wait until it happens to you, with your money, and your pride on the line, and btw, just so you guys know, i finished 4th in that tourney...looks like you guys thought i was a lot dumber than i actually am.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, good to hear. i was gonna say, if you busted out on that hand, let me know, ill transfer you the 60 cents so you can play another one.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:20 PM

"why would i bet more preflop if i didnt even have a face card, let alone a pocket pair."

Because you'd be happy if your opponent folded, allowing you to profit while holding a weak hand. 89o is only profitable as a drawing hand if there are a lot of people to see the flop with you to potentially pay you off on the few times that you actually make a strong hand.

You failed to steal because you bet too small (try ~4bb next time), and you aren't getting the right situation to draw to your striaght (except as a backup incase he calls your steal attempt). You were very lucky to get top pair no kicker, so your pot size flop bet was correct. But, you opponent's call of your flop tells you that: s/he has a hand, s/he has overcards, s/he is dumb, so you need to figure out. You probably should have bet twice the pot with such a vulnerable top pair hand to have the best chacne to end this hand right now with a profit. The turn J should be a scary card because it hits a lot of hand opponent could have called you with Pre flop but not reraise.

"should the board show 4 to a flush, i win then as well,"

No. Realize that if you do get your flush with four of one suit on the board, you will scare your opponent unless s/he also has a flush, which might beat you.

"he is a moron for playing them and got really lucky"

No. Your opponent looks skilled. pocket 2s will win the hand if you do not improve, or did not have a higher PP to start with.but, opponent can figure out where s/he stands by investing a bet on the flop and judging your reaction. But, s/he did not need to. What you need to realize with PPs is that they don't make a set very often, but when they do, they have a high chance of winning and sneak up on people who have good second place hands. When that happens, the holder of the set makes a lot of chips.

Your opponent played this hand perfectly: let you keep putting money in the pot without discouragement until the last moment when s/he makes a bet you cannot refuse. Learn from your opponent, and tournament fora and read everyone's discussion.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because you'd be happy if your opponent folded, allowing you to profit while holding a weak hand. 89o is only profitable as a drawing hand if there are a lot of people to see the flop with you to potentially pay you off on the few times that you actually make a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a 3:1 favorite with his overcards. He doesn't want to scare his opponent away.

[ QUOTE ]
No. Realize that if you do get your flush with four of one suit on the board, you will scare your opponent unless s/he also has a flush, which might beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

When was the last time you lost with a flush? This is bad advice, flushes are money-making hands. I looked at pokertracker, its says I'm way positive for flushes.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 PM

and for the record, I still think you are trolling, and very likely jman posting under a different handle. but, JIC, take my advice.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and for the record, I still think you are trolling, and very likely jman posting under a different handle. but, JIC, take my advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I promise 100% he isn't me. And I knew someone was going to think he was.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I promise 100% he isn't me. And I knew someone was going to think he was.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can vouch for this not being jman and be 100% certain.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:28 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
and for the record, I still think you are trolling

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to say the same to you. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 06:31 PM

his draw is a 3:1 favorite...but not his chances of winning. Have you ever read any poker literature? The ideas of outs and pot odds are everywhere in them. you're obviously confusing something...stop calling names, stop trying to prove the world wrong...just relax and dialog with people in a calm manner. If this is how you interact with people in the real world I wouldn't be suprised to find that you have no real friends. pretty lonely world you live in
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM

LOL. Nobody believe this, but it's funny.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:36 PM

ok A. i am not "JMAN220" as you can see, my name is "George" with a G it would make absolutely no sense whatsoever for me to call myself "JMAN" (i take it you live in Berkeley and that you do not attend school there, or maybe you do and its a JCC, this way when people ask you where you go to school you can say Berkeley and they will be impressed by that not knowing that they have recieved incomplete information)

As for the level of skill of the guy i am playing against, a raise would indicate that i have something better than just the average hand, he called with a marginal hand, and hit a 2 outer, he is a marlin, and just so you understand what that means, a "marlin" is a "big fish" i dont know whether you guys learn about fish in Berkeley.

if he had any skill whatsoever he would have folded, any pair beats 22, any straight with my cards beats any straight with his...... do you see where i am going with this? i hope to god so....