Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 08:45 AM

Default Bad Fold with a big pot?

Taj 15/30

Okay, very tight table but a few lags. I am on the button with JJ.

UTG (Hee Haw) limps fold to CO 2(Solid Player) who raises, I three bet Small Blind, another Donk cold calls, UTG calls CO 2 calls

Flop:
8s, 6d, 4c

SB checks, UTG bets (maniac) CO 2 calls, I raise, SB calls, UTG calls, CO2 call-raises, I Fold

I was trying to Isolate AK at CO 2, wasn't expecting all the action and I figure CO2 probably has aa or kk when he call-raises and one of the donks may have hit their set. There is about 24 SB in the pot when I fold.

Should I have check called, the flop and folded the turn?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Bad Fold with a big pot?

Unless you think someone has flopped a straight, the pot is laying you enough odds to draw to a set.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:32 AM

I'm really amazed whenever people post about live games where players are so tight and predictable that you can fold strong hands because of a little action.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:32 AM

CO2 isnīt solid...
Old 09-30-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Taj 15/30

Okay, very tight table but a few lags. I am on the button with JJ.

UTG (Hee Haw) limps fold to CO 2(Solid Player) who raises, I three bet Small Blind, another Donk cold calls, UTG calls CO 2 calls

Flop:
8s, 6d, 4c

SB checks, UTG bets (maniac) CO 2 calls, I raise, SB calls, UTG calls, CO2 call-raises, I Fold

I was trying to Isolate AK at CO 2, wasn't expecting all the action and I figure CO2 probably has aa or kk when he call-raises and one of the donks may have hit their set. There is about 24 SB in the pot when I fold.

Should I have check called, the flop and folded the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you made a good read as this action on this board will always mean you are behind if you are against sane opponents but you still should peel one off on the flop and then fold the turn unimproved. You have the odds to draw to your set so see one more card. By the way if there was a flush draw on the flop then you should be 3 betting the villain to protect your hand, not thinking about folding. But when someone checkraises for value on this low rainbow board after you raised preflop, this means a set almost every time. So your thinking was correct but your execution was off by one street.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:55 AM

The call-raise is very scary, almost always a monster. See 1 more card for 1 sb and hope you spike a jack, otherwise muck
Old 09-30-2005, 12:05 PM

Why would you not just bet the flop after three betting pre? Your hand is likely best and if you get a couple callers and an LP raises, you can go ahead and three bet. Plus, your check is scary after your preflop actions since people expect a bet; they could interpret it as three 8's or AA and check it through. And then you've given a disastrous free card.

As played...why would CO2 not raise the flop straight off in this big pot with a hand like AA, KK. Granted the call, reraise usually means a super holding. But it could also be something like 97s or 10-9s that is now trying to get a free look on the turn. I would call and then evaluate on the turn, betting if a favorable or scare card comes.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2005, 12:12 PM

i raised the flop and folded to the call-raise 3-bet
Old 09-30-2005, 12:18 PM

I misread and thought you were SB, my bad.

[ QUOTE ]
I three bet Small Blind

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff
Old 09-30-2005, 12:27 PM

it is the taj 15 game though, 2 of them are going to the river, no matter what you do..a/k a/q whatever they dont give up good starting hands for any money